Air Conditioner -- Best Retailer and Prices

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
430xc
udonmap.com

Post by 430xc » August 11, 2011, 11:29 am

I am starting to research prior to the purchase of an air conditioner. It will be for a home in Udon Thani so I assume it needs to be purchased in Udon Thani. Where can I get the best price on a unit? Also, what are common prices for several BTU outputs?

Any input will be appreciated
430xc

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » August 11, 2011, 11:39 am

Here is a little info that has been posted on the fourm. Not much about prices but some discussion about sizing.

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/a ... 17044.html

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 11, 2011, 11:46 am

ACs are also discussed at http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/v ... p?p=270539

As with all things in Thailand (building a house/wall, buying land, etc), you generally get what you pay for. My suggestion, take some house/room size drawings to a few of the bigger AC shops. Get some quotes. A bigger AC isn't necessarily better (yet, too small isn't good either)....but my experience is that Thais tend to suggest at the high end of the BTU range. If you have no shade, lots of sun beating walls/windows, and no insulation, then the high end may be better than the low end.
Consider whether you want to pay the added costs for an inverter.
Finally, I would tend to use the stores that have been in town for several years, rather than some of these fly-by-night small shops that sell ACs on the cheap.
Happy shopping!

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » August 11, 2011, 3:11 pm

parrot wrote: rather than some of these fly-by-night small shops that sell ACs on the cheap.
Happy shopping!
Those shops that sell ACs on the cheap

Well I bought mine from one of those shops, in fact so small and with paying with a credit card had to go to another shop to make the payment.

When I didn’t like the performance of one of the units, got the maker of units to check it out, they ended up replacing it, checked other units and serviced, and the cost was nothing. Company Daikin.

Only problem was that I had to wait about 2 months, for them to be in the area. (from BKK)

Problem with unit: I thought it was too noisy and vibrated a little too much, new unit was a tad better, non inverter type.

Oh, can’t remember the exact # (5 years ago) but saved well over 4k for the 4 units.
:D

chanchop
udonmap.com

Post by chanchop » August 16, 2011, 12:11 pm

I bought an aircon from Big C and was surprised by the service. 13000 baht for a 12000 btu single unit air conditioner - the guys came to fix it up ( in the rain ) within 2 hours, and after just an hour, the aircon was working with all the pipes laid out neatly and wires tacked up nicely. Payment was to the guys, not to Big C, for some strange reason.

GARYZX6R
udonmap.com

Post by GARYZX6R » August 16, 2011, 1:44 pm

Was the fitting included in the 13,000 bht ? If not how much to fit ?

chanchop
udonmap.com

Post by chanchop » August 16, 2011, 8:38 pm

GARYZX6R wrote:Was the fitting included in the 13,000 bht ? If not how much to fit ?
It was included, and I think it was a Panasonic. You can check it out at Big C.... I nearly bought an air con unit at Powersave or something like that, outside Robinsons in Central Plaza, but my bf said check out big C first...

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » August 16, 2011, 8:43 pm

Whow know Chancop is giving us advice about shopping in Udon but she's only been here twice and never went out

chanchop
udonmap.com

Post by chanchop » August 16, 2011, 8:49 pm

merchant seaman wrote:Whow know Chancop is giving us advice about shopping in Udon but she's only been here twice and never went out
Merchant seaman, I don't mean to be rude, but if you can not be bothered to read properly, please stop posting after me. I've been to Udon twice, once for 16 days and the other for 10 days. All I saw was shopping centers and Nong prajak for massage. I saw a topic on Aircons, and since I had just bought a unit for my bf, I thought I would share my excellent customer service experience with the rest who were asking about aircons.

Please read carefully if you are trawling for posts to flame.

430xc
udonmap.com

Post by 430xc » August 25, 2011, 4:12 am

Chanchop: Thanks for sharing your experience. I will definitely take a look at Big C.
Hope to hear more from you in the future
430xc

martynsnowman
udonmap.com

Post by martynsnowman » July 16, 2012, 5:51 pm

has any1 had any dealings with CENTRAL air con units i,ve never heard of them b4 but had a good price from an installer 22,000baht for a 18 btu unit fitted . is that o.k or a rip off any help is good .... mb

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » July 16, 2012, 6:49 pm

good price good unit

TEC1

Post by TEC1 » July 16, 2012, 8:56 pm

If you stand in front of the old Tesco & look across the duel road to the other side slightly to your left you will see a Central Air shop. Bought a 12,000 unit there for 9990 baht fitted, tried it for a week , brilliant, so went back to buy another one, sold out so had to buy a different make but still 12000 btu for 12,0000 baht fitted, have now run them for 2 years with not an ounce of trouble, plus you get a free service at the end of 12 months. One of the advantages I liked was that the compressor units are free standing on rubber feet, so no vibrations on your walls & no drilling into your lovely tiles.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 16, 2012, 9:17 pm

A neighbor of ours bought a large AC a year ago for what he considered a good price. The price was good, but the AC was of vintage technology. It cools adequately, but it's noisy and the ceiling unit is twice+ the size of newer units.
Having only had a Fujitsu previously, now having Daikins and a smaller carrier, I'd never go back to an off-brand make.

Irishman
udonmap.com

Post by Irishman » July 17, 2012, 2:55 am

I bought a 4x2 sq meter unit, 12000 I think, Samsung unit from Power Buy next to Big C. paid 11500 baht. Fully fitted, inclusive of wiring, in the wifes home(30Km from Udon) within 3 hours, 12 months guarantee on air con unit plus 5 year on external unit, tipped the 2 fitters 500 and a couple of beers. This year internal until not cooling well. called them out, only needed a good filter cleaning, charged me 400 plus 20 baht per mile. otherwise never had any trouble

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » September 16, 2014, 3:02 pm

i'm looking to buy some air cons, need a 24000btu and two 18000btu units,prefer inverter as cheaper to run. any recomendations on the best price and make, mid to high end. this thread is a bit old so looking for any updates
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » May 28, 2015, 7:30 pm

Can any one recomend a tradeperson to install two split system air conditioning units here in Udon?

Thanks in advance.

macca46

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 29, 2015, 12:17 am

Since moving to Udon i have used one guy for all my AC needs .. Somphon Air. ...now located in the new row of shop houses on the ring rd right opposite Thai Watsadu the far right end unit .

All kinds of AC hes just fitted a Haier in our chocolate room and a Carrier in the planned restaurant .. good price and service , he also installs/replaces AC in many schools and government offices so always has the ones he replaces as second hand units at a good price.

Also Servicing 300bt - 400 per unit , i do ours every 4-6 months depending on the time of year.

Tel ..0868159302 ...... he does not speak any English .

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

kakariki
udonmap.com

Post by kakariki » May 31, 2015, 3:59 pm

Sounds good, I've been trying to buy a multi head unit with no luck, maybe he might know.
Barry

milkman
udonmap.com

Post by milkman » June 26, 2015, 1:10 pm

My best suggestion is to buy an INVERTER air conditioner, regardless of brand. What's an inverter? Most a/cs are all on or all off- 100% or 0%. Inverter a/cs just give you what you need to get to the temp you desire. They operate at 21%, 46%- just what you need. And so they use far less electricity. In our home, we found the electric bill went down by 40% when we installed inverter aircons. Cost more, but paid for itself in just a few months!

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”