Grass Roots Footie (everything exept EPL) 2014/15

General sports news and discussions.
Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » April 20, 2015, 12:02 am

pomps wrote:WTF has just happened,lost a wager and the Villans are in the final :shock: Nevermind 8)
Courtinhio and Villa 2-1 @ 150/1 made my day :)

Meanwhile.
Attachments
Gerrard.jpg

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » April 20, 2015, 5:03 am

"I'm hoping ICT win to deny the Pope's first eleven the likely treble". [-o<

Seems like my prayers were answered - well done to big 'Yogi' and his players. =D>
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » April 20, 2015, 6:55 am

socksy wrote:"I'm hoping ICT win to deny the Pope's first eleven the likely treble". [-o<

Seems like my prayers were answered - well done to big 'Yogi' and his players. =D>
Reminds me of what was and always will be the greatest ever sorting headline.
Attachments
super caley.jpg
super caley.jpg (9.84 KiB) Viewed 901 times

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 20, 2015, 7:01 am

Fair bit of controversy in the game though socks..
Celtic should have had a penalty dead on half time & Cali should have had a man sent off for a deliberate handball saving a goal.
In fairness to Ronny Deila he didn't quibble about their sending off as some managers are prone to do.. :D

Disappointing for Pool, who were, well...disappointing.
Well done to Villa, a thoroughly deserved victory & on this sort of form (& if they can keep Christian Benteke fit) will give The Gunners a few worries in the final. Tim has certainly turned their season around...

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » April 20, 2015, 8:09 am

The rub of the green (no pun intended) went to Celtic's opponents for a change through officiating decisions Bob. Som nam naa!
Alba gu bràth

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 20, 2015, 8:49 am

Aston Villa thoroughly deserved their win.They were more hungry for the victory against a disappointing Liverpool side who only sprung to life in the last 10 minutes.
All the Villa players did well but two who deserve special praise were the veteran keeper,Shay Given,who was assured throughout and 19 year old Jack Grealish who only made his debut 12 days ago and was man of the match for me.
Benetke worried Liverpools shaky defence,throughout.Its sad to see a once great player like Steven Gerrard being a shadow of his former self.I dont know why he played last night.Apart from two long range decent crossfield passes he was mostly anonymous.He made a right "town halls" of a free kick in a great goalscoring position near the end and also shot high into the crowd from a good opportunity.
Balotelli will never be a Liverpool player.He just doesnt fit into their style,although he was no worse than most yesterday.

Congratulations to Inverness CT in reaching,what I believe,is their first Scottish Cup Final....nice to see the honours being shared around in Scotland,for a change.

morti "why so many foreign managers?"......well,only 30% of the players in the Premiership are English so it follows that foreign managers will be recruited to try and bring a different perspective to the football over here (doesnt always work) and there appears to be a dearth of good English managers,at present.....maybe they cant find employment because there are two many foreign coaches.....catch 22 situation ?
Of the current top 7 English Premiership teams only one,Liverpool,have a British manager.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » April 20, 2015, 10:21 am

"Of the current top 7 English Premiership teams only one,Liverpool,have a British manager". And he's from Northern Ireland.
Alba gu bràth

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » April 20, 2015, 11:28 am

socksy wrote:"I'm hoping ICT win to deny the Pope's first eleven the likely treble". [-o<

Falkirk v ICT, day off for the ticket touts then.

Is the year of the underdogs in Scotland.
Beware QoS in the play offs.

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » April 20, 2015, 12:34 pm

Macca wrote:

Falkirk v ICT, day off for the ticket touts then.

Is the year of the underdogs in Scotland.
Beware QoS in the play offs.
Day off for the touts indeed but the street cleaners in Inverness and Falkirk will be on overtime clearing up all the tumbleweed from the main streets on final day.

No doubt QoS are a threat.
Alba gu bràth

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 20, 2015, 3:39 pm

Tranmere Rovers.....2 matches to go......2 points from safety......and the manager leaves ! :-s
Looks like they are accepting a local derby against Chester in the Conference next season,along with nearby trips to Altrincham and Macclesfield.
Hard to believe they were in the League Cup Final in 2000 and made the play offs to the Premiership in three successive seasons,92-93,93-94 and 94-95.

Micky Adams: Tranmere Rovers part company with manager (BBC Sport)

Tranmere Rovers have parted company with manager Micky Adams by mutual consent following Saturday's home defeat by Oxford United.
The 53-year-old left with the club bottom of League Two and in danger of losing their Football League status.
Adams' number two Alan Rogers and academy boss Shaun Garnett have been put in charge for the final two games of the season.
Rovers are one point behind Cheltenham and two adrift of Hartlepool United.
Two of those three teams will be relegated, with Tranmere having the superior goal difference should that be the deciding factor.
They face play-off contenders in their final two matches - travelling to Plymouth next Saturday before a home game against Bury a week later.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 20, 2015, 6:41 pm

Atalanta Braves shocked the football world with their tie with Roma. This means that Roma and Lazio share second place as Lazio fell to Juve 2-0 on Saturday. In the tilt between the two Milans, AC and Inter ended up knotted at 0-0.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » April 21, 2015, 8:19 am

A semi-professional footballer who played for Clitheroe FC has been sacked after a video emerged showing him having sex with an unknown woman in the manager’s dugout while wearing official kit of the club.

Jay Hart, 24, was filmed on Saturday afternoon following the Evo-Stik Division 1 North match at Mossley AFC, with the video appearing on social media which led to Hart’s identification.

Hart could be heard laughing in the video, in which he is seen having sex with a blonde woman whose face cannot be seen, with a club T-shirt still on and tracksuit bottoms around his legs.

Independant.

Good job it wasn't a cup match otherwise it could have taken place in extra time or the penalty shoot out. (aherm!)
Alba gu bràth

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 21, 2015, 3:03 pm

Perhaps Tranmere are trying to tap into the Micky Adams leaving magic ........ :-k

Fulham, almost out of the league ......... get rid of Adams and make it to the prem lge
Swansea, almost out of the league .......... after getting rid of Adams and make it to the Prem lge
Brentford, struggling in lowest league ......... after getting rid of Adams pushing for promotion to Prem lge
Brighton, almost out of existance ........ after getting rid of Adams made the playoffs for promotion to the Prem lge

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 22, 2015, 7:12 am

Scunthorpe 1-1 Bradford
Only a draw, but it leaves The Iron in the comfortable position that just 1 point from their last two games will mean that the are playing League 1 football next season no matter what the other results are.

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » April 22, 2015, 9:39 am

socksy wrote:The rub of the green (no pun intended) went to Celtic's opponents for a change through officiating decisions Bob. Som nam naa!
Just watched the highlights of the Inverness v Celtic game and no doubt there was a definite penalty for Celtic denied as the defender clearly handled the ball from preventing it entering the net. The bye-line official was only feet away and how he missed it I will never know.However Thistle were denied a clear cut penalty when the Celtic substitute keeper also very clearly bundled over a Thistle striker when he had no chance of reaching a cross. He came on as sub as Gordon, the Celtic keeper was correctly red carded for bringing down an Inverness player who had a clear goalscoring opportunity. Well done the Jags.
Alba gu bràth

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 22, 2015, 11:35 am

FC United and Salford City both secure promotion
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32407664
FC United will be playing in the Conference North next season after sealing a fourth promotion in their 10-year history with a 1-0 win over Stourbridge.

The breakaway club were founded as a direct result of the Glazer family's takeover of Manchester United.

The club open their purpose-built stadium next month when they will play Benfica in a friendly.

Their place in the Evo-Stik Premier League will be taken by Salford City.

The team, part-owned by the 'Class of 92' - Ryan Giggs, Gary Neville, Paul Scholes, Phil Neville and Nicky Butt - cannot be caught at the top of the First Division North following Darlington's failure to win at Warrington.
Wish the 'first team' were doing as well... :D

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » April 24, 2015, 9:16 am

What about this for simulation? Pratt :oops:

http://metro.co.uk/2015/04/23/sao-paulo ... r-5164037/
Alba gu bràth

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » April 24, 2015, 10:08 am

BobHelm wrote:
FC United and Salford City both secure promotion
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32407664
FC United will be playing in the Conference North next season after sealing a fourth promotion in their 10-year history with a 1-0 win over Stourbridge.
FC United v Stockport County could be a very tasty affair what with County being the bitter blues 2nd club.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 24, 2015, 1:44 pm

I know that there has been concern on this forum that Cheltenham Town may be relegated from the Football League at the end of the season but worry not =; as new manager,Gary Johnson,has made all the players sign a piece of paper saying that they will try their hardest to keep the Robins up !
Now if only Manuel Pellegrini had done that at Citeh ! 8)
Save Cheltenham Town.jpg
It is a question football fans often ask of their heroes after a suspect performance or miserable defeat - how hard were they really trying?
But the players at League Two strugglers Cheltenham Town have "promised" that their supporters need not worry.
Cheltenham Town
"When I first came in I asked all the lads to sign a sheet of paper to say that they promise they'll give everything to keep Cheltenham Town in the Football League," explained manager Gary Johnson, who was appointed last month.(BBC Sport)

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 25, 2015, 7:16 am

Scunthorpe V Gillingham 15:00
Cheltenham V Shrewsbury 15:00
1 point is all The Iron need to produce a sigh of relief for this season & start worrying about how to do better next.
The Gills are playing for nothing. Midtable with the playoffs no longer possible..

Not so fortunate for Town. The Shrews are in second spot but still need points to ensure automatic promotion.
Points here for the home side would be the result of the season for them.. :shock:

Return to “World Sports”