Udon Thani FC 2015-season

Sports, Leisure and Adventure for the active minded. (Udon Thani related topics only)
Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » March 19, 2015, 8:43 am

Something I`ve wondered about lately. Who is the supporters of new clubs? In Ubon Ratchathani there`s now 2 clubs. Ubon UMT won the league last season. This season Ubon UMT United was born and Ubon UMT was renamed for the 3rd time, back to Ubon Ratchathani (their 2012 name).
But who supports a newborn club in a place where they already has a club? And both plays in the same league. In Thai style, you could say that people support both, but yesterday both clubs played at home on the same time, and most weekends they have played on the same day, and people can`t be 2 places at once.

Khon Kaen also has 2 clubs this season. Khon Kaen FC was relegated from Division 1, and Khon Kaen United is a new club. Maybe someone sees Khon Kaen FC as a club on it`s way down, and wants something new?

Also Sisaket has 2 clubs, and has had 2 for a few seasons, but Sisaket FC plays in TPL and Sisaket United in Division 2, so they are not competing at the same level, and never has.

What will happen if we see another club in Udon Thani next season? Who wil support them? :?

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » March 19, 2015, 10:42 am

Svein66 wrote:UDFC dropped to 4th place yesterday after a 1-1 draw with Ubon Ratchathani......
Not a bad result in my book.This Ubon team, although not right at the top, doing reasonably well and Udon doesn't have a particularly impressive record playing there. It might have been worse, Udon equalising quite late in the game, I believe.
Svein66 wrote:Something I`ve wondered about lately. Who is the supporters of new clubs?......
Well, I guess there may be an element of not so loyal fans switching Clubs, or those just wanting to see a game. Also, those who will follow the team being more successful. I understand it's a condition the two Ubon Clubs play at different grounds (although I haven't checked how close they are to each other) - rather confirmed yesterday as they both played at home. Of course, most new Clubs draw their support from those living in the town or fairly nearby, or perhaps a little further away if convenient to travel. Certainly, historically, that was and still is the situation in the UK, although the more successful Clubs have their "hangers-on", oh sorry, loyal fans from around the world. :lol: Ubon is a fairly large city and some fans may settle for the Club literally 'down the road' rather than the other side of town.

Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » March 19, 2015, 12:06 pm

I agree, Brian, that 1-1 yesterday is a good result. Getting at least a point away to other top clubs is good, and it was UDFC`s first goal there in the league since 2011, so it hasn`t been a good place for them to visit.
At home to Nong Bua Pitchaya this Sunday is a must win match, but as I will show on the info & stats page later today or tomorrow, Nong Bua Lamphu (as they was called until this season) hasn`t been an easy opponent for UDFC in previous seasons. Not even at home.

Loei City is now top of the table and Ubon UMT United in third place. None of those is a surprise, even if Ubon is a new club, but the "money people" (UMT) just made a new club after last season and got some good players.
But the surprise so far is Amnat Poly United in 2nd place. After losing at home to Ubon Ratchathani on opening day, they have kept 5 clean sheets, which is remarkeble, and scored 12 goals. I`m pretty certain that they won`t be up there in September, but it`s good for the league, and the Amnat Charoen province, that some of the smaller clubs are doing good, at least for a little while.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » March 19, 2015, 4:55 pm

Too early to call anything yet, I suggest, with not even a quarter of the season gone. What a long haul the normal season is going to be, with the mid-season break, transfer window too. And then the Champions League following, for those teams which do qualify.

Going back to Udon's home game last Sunday against Ubon UMT, which included the unusual four red cards against the latter, I'm interested to know from others who saw the game, what they thought of the officials' performance. Is there any thinking the officials "messed up", Ubon was harshly treated etc? I've my views, particularly on the actual incidents, but how did others see it?

I'd like to understand what the Ubon President(or was it Head Coach) said after the game in an interview although, whether he truthfully felt that way or not, I'd imagine he tried to avoid any condemnation of his side. I'm sure there'll be the usual post-match findings, appeals etc.

Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » March 19, 2015, 5:50 pm

Brian Davis wrote:What a long haul the normal season is going to be, with the mid-season break, ...

...Is there any thinking the officials "messed up", Ubon was harshly treated etc? I've my views, particularly on the actual incidents, but how did others see it?
There is no mid-season break in our league, only all the others. We have one weekend off at Songkran. Matces all other weekends until end of September + 1 mid-week match.

From the videos I`ve seen, all 4 red cards was correct. 2 was a straight red, the crazy goalkeeper and the player who kicked the UDFC-player when he was shooting, because he didn`t get a freekick seconds earlier. The second bookings on the 2 other sending offs was also correct. Also the first booking for number 4 for the wrestling before the goalkeeper got sent off. The first booking for the other sending off, I haven`t seen.

On the goalkeeper: He didn`t actually knock down our player, but he had his hands in his face and pushed a little, so the red card is ok. This video is the best to see what the goalkeeper was doing, before he put his hands in the player`s face:
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=329568907240521

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » March 19, 2015, 6:29 pm

Svein66 wrote: There is no mid-season break in our league, only all the others. We have one weekend off at Songkran. Matces all other weekends until end of September + 1 mid-week match.
I stand corrected, Svein. Thank you for confirming my memory is going, as I know you told me that earlier. :lol:

"On the goalkeeper: He didn`t actually knock down our player, but he had his hands in his face and pushed a little, so the red card is ok. "

There was comment elsewhere that some Udon players had 'milked' the situation and, although the foul was there, fair to say here that the Udon player went down as if hit by a truck. I don't like or condone that. But surely everyone is of the same view that the Ubon 'keeper overall was the complete idiot!

Let's see if anyone else comments on the Udon vs Ubon UMT game.

Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » March 30, 2015, 7:29 am

UDFC won 1-0 away to Surin City yesterday, and after the match UDFC`s coach, Worradet Phuprapri, resigned due to "personal reasons". :shock:

http://www.smmsport.com/reader.php?news=146990

Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » March 31, 2015, 6:33 pm

Hannarong Chunhakunakorn is currently in charge of the UDFC-team. He was assistant coach until the head coach resigned on Sunday. He was in charge of Trat when they got promoted to D1 in 2012, and the following season. Last year he was an assistant coach at Chiang Mai.
He might be in charge of the next 2 matches, at home to Sakhon Nakhon and away to Roi Et United. After that there is 2 weeks until the next match (Songkran), and there might be a change then, or not...

Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » April 8, 2015, 9:10 am

The news today is that the referee from the match between UDFC and Ubon UMT United a few weeks ago, is banned for life! The boss in Ubon, the guy who was speaking to the ref at the match, has a lot of power within the FA, and now the referee is punished for doing his job. In my view, there`s nothing wrong with any of the 4 red cards given, but corrupt and/or too powerful people ruins sport and other things in Thailand. :shock:

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » April 8, 2015, 12:55 pm

This is unbelievable.
I've posted below on the fans' facebook pages, in the hope somebody will be brave enough to say no.

"If this is accurate, make no mistake about it, it absolutely stinks. No matter who gets upset, I would seriously urge the Udon FC Management and Udon fans to involve the media and other fans, in issuing statements to the effect that they cannot accept this is a fair reflection of that game and the referee’s decisions. Frankly, it’s a joke. In the interest of Thai football as a whole, corruption and influence must not be allowed to dictate. Respect is said to be important in Thailand, but how can you give respect to people reaching these decisions? There’s a very bad smell to all of this. Be brave Udon, speak out against it and involve all fans who want to see honesty in the game. I, for one, would be happy to be interviewed by the media on my feelings. "

phen
udonmap.com

Post by phen » April 8, 2015, 2:12 pm

The video tells it all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84nrfKWHdgQ
This is the Ubon version off what happen in the game.
Very friendly game that means the referee was crazy to give red cards.
T.I.T

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » April 8, 2015, 2:14 pm

If the guy has a lot of power within the FA I think you'd be pissing in the wind Brian, unless, as you say, the Media is strongly involved backed up by the video footage/re-run of the game. Statements from fans I doubt would have much effect. As usual here money talks and always will. A player kicking the nonsense out of a ref in Thailand wouldn't even receive a ban for life.
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » April 8, 2015, 3:02 pm

The last two posts does make one think whether it's worth being enthusiastic, supporting, cheering, believing. The sad thing also is that the majority of Thai appear to accept these events as normal and tolerable.

Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » April 8, 2015, 9:28 pm

It`s a horrible decision to suspend the referee after mentioned match, but it`s no surprise. Referees is suspended all the time in Thailand. Also in the news today is a referee suspended for errors he made in TPL a few weeks back. There`s also been others in TPL this season and there was several last season.

About the Udon vs Ubon referee, I don`t think it`s said clearly in the media excactly why he got suspended. If it was the 4 red cards, the whole match or other.

Anyway, it don`t change any results or positions in the table. I expect that players get automatic bans here as other places, which should mean that the 2 players who got sent off for 2 bookings should have had a ban in the first match after, the kicking guy should have 2-3 matches and the goalkeeper at least 3 since he refused to leave the pitch too.
Ubon UMT has lost 2 of the 4 matches after playing Udon, and that might be due to suspended players (or not).

If the 4 players has served a ban, then the only thing missing is a fine for Ubon UMT and that would not have done anything to the current or future position in the table.

BUT for football in general in Thailand is things like this not good. Powerful people and/or money should never have anything to say about punishments for clubs, players, referees, coaches or staff in any club.

But we also see this in England, as Manchester United is always punished harder than any other club... [-X

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » April 9, 2015, 6:10 am

This was probably the worst incident of the Udon v Ubon game. About 1 minute 20 seconds in. The Ubon player, upset he didn't get a decision his way, blatantly kicks the Udon player Angel. The Udon player has a cracked knee, hasn't played, of course, since then and is receiving intensive treatment in Spain.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=32 ... =2&theater

A fan has picked up on this incident too, a stamping, which I think went unpunished.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=14 ... =2&theater

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » April 9, 2015, 2:21 pm

Svein66 wrote:But we also see this in England, as Manchester United is always punished harder than any other club... [-X
You're probably fortunate Svein that possible penalties aren't put to an English fans' referendum, because I'm sure there'd be a high percentage wanting Old Trafford burnt to the ground. :lol:

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » April 16, 2015, 4:59 pm

Now UTFC are doing so well, I thought I might take in a game or 2 - with that sort of glory hunting attitude you would have thought I was a MUFC supporter back in UK, happily I'm not!!

A bit of advice please from the regulars:

- is it pay on the gate?
- is it wise to get there early?
- best place to stand (sit?)
- any hooligan problems?
- my 11year old daughter wants to go. Is this wise?

Thanks for any help

Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » April 16, 2015, 7:51 pm

samster wrote:Now UTFC are doing so well, I thought I might take in a game or 2 - with that sort of glory hunting attitude you would have thought I was a MUFC supporter back in UK, happily I'm not!!

A bit of advice please from the regulars:

- is it pay on the gate?
- is it wise to get there early?
- best place to stand (sit?)
- any hooligan problems?
- my 11year old daughter wants to go. Is this wise?
- Yes, you buy the tickets outside the stadium on matchdays (50 baht).
- Depends on where you want to sit. If you want a plastic seat on the main stand, you have to be there at least 1 hour before kick-off. If not, you don`t have to be early.
- Again, depends on where you want to sit. If you want to sit, you should avoid the middle of the open stand, as most people are standing there, and you won`t see much if you sit. The best atmosphere is at the open stand.
- Any hooligans is only on the pitch...;)
- Bring your daughter. No problems.

Next match is vs Khon Kaen United on April 26.

By the way, it`s UDFC, not UTFC, even if that would make more sense. Happily not a Man United supporter? Well, as long as you don`t support Palace or Loserpool, we can live with that... ;)

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » April 16, 2015, 7:54 pm

Hi Samster
Yes, Udon are, in my view, doing well, 2nd position at the Songkran break and undefeated in the League. If not setting the world alight, the last home game did see a 5-0 thumping of Sakhon Nakhon, but the latter are one of the weaker teams. The next home game is NOT this weekend, but on Sunday 26th April, ko 6 pm. It’s against Khon Kaen Utd., presently 3rd, so an important game against a current frontrunner.
If you’re not already aware, there are various Facebook pages on the Club, where you’ll see comments, photos and videos of matches and ‘get a feel’ of what goes on. Try Udon Thani FC English and Giant Gangster pages.
To answer your specific questions:-
50 baht for a ticket, which are purchased from stalls by the stands. I think your daughter of that age would pay the same. Present your ticket at one of the entrances. Your wrist will be ‘rubber-stamped’, allowing you to come and go should you need refreshments or toilets during the game or at half time. Keep your ticket stub for the H/T draw – you may be lucky!
(Facilities are not brilliant at this level. Lots of food and drink outside and the fans bring quite a lot of it in! -you’re not meant to bring glass bottles into the ground- toilets not that numerous or grand and the mobile toilet units they bring in may be preferable. Seating is usually on concrete steps, but see below)
The only covered area is at the nearside(to the main, highway entrance), central bit i.e where the players emerge. There are a few orange, backless,plastic seats here screwed to the steps, but you’d probably have to be there an hour before ko to secure those. Otherwise, it’s concrete, UNLESS you feel you want to mix with the VIP’s right in the very middle – a plastic chair within that section costs 100 baht, I believe. Whilst it can still be ‘sticky’ under cover, some fans like this section for the shade and, of course, fans try to squash in here if it is raining. To the left and right of this central covered area are open areas – the left is an Udon ‘cheer’ section; the right is intended to be for away fans, but rarely fills.
The other side of the pitch is completely open, concrete steps to sit on only. This is very much where the liveliest fans gather to create noise. About a dozen big,drums going, quite impressive streamer-throwing before the game starts –the place to be if you wish to shout, join in with the support. Udon games tend to be a full or near full house these days, but fans this side tend to actually take their seats quite late to the ko – perhaps because they’re socializing outside, but also it can be hot in the sun, until it drops around ko time. I’d suggest you sit on the upper rows, as there’s a lot of movement lower down and perhaps some fans standing. You really don’t want to look at someone’s back throughout.
Trouble at games is very, very rare – you’re more likely to see it on the pitch than off it, in spite of the Fair Play and ‘respect’ shown at the start! You’d be very unlucky to meet any hooligan problems. That’s really borne out by the fact it is very much a family atmosphere, young and old, male and female and I’ve seen very young children there too. I can assure you the girls/ladies are as enthusiastic, if not more so, than the men.
I don’t know if it would be your daughter’s first football match, but I can’t see a problem in bringing her along and hopefully she’ll enjoy. As the popular song goes, with drums, “Come and Cheer Udon”. Orange is Udon’s colour. If you really wanted to anticipate the game, the new Club shop is close to KFC at UD town to buy shirts.
Incidentally, why Udon’s ‘abbreviation’ isn’t UTFC as you’ve written, I don’t know. I’ve asked the question several times. But everywhere it’s UDFC.
I’ve probably gone way over the top in trying to give you some information. If you’re able to call in at the stadium before Sunday week to have a look, then the setup should be clearer. People exercise around the stadium late afternoon and you might catch the players training at that time too.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » April 16, 2015, 7:59 pm

Well, there we go, Svein beat me to it. But I'm glad to say we're saying the same things.

Actually, it's quite strange - Svein a United fan, myself Palace, but we haven't come to blows - yet! :lol:

Return to “Sports, Leisure and Adventure in Udon Thani”