Monk shot dead in Udon Thani

Udon Thani news, views and comments
Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » March 2, 2015, 11:19 am

I heard about this yesterday from some Thai friends and its in the Bangkok Post now......... :shock:

Monk slain in Udon Thani
• 1 Mar 2015 at 15:24
• WRITER: ONLINE REPORTERS

The abbot of a forest monastery in Udon Thani province was shot dead while on the way back to the temple from his routine morning alms collection, police said.
Pol Col Santhan Intarachak, the superintendent of Muang district police, said the incident occurred shortly before 8am.
According to accounts from witnesses, Phra Bundhit Padhito, 48, the abbot of Tambon Sisiat forest monastery, was about one kilometre from the temple when he was followed by a group of men in a black pickup truck.
While on a dirt track through a rubber plantation, one of the men walked from the vehicle to the monk and fired two shots at him with a gun, hitting him in the chest. The monk was killed instantly.
Police are investigating the motives for the killing.
Phra Bundhit was a former director of Chaiwan Hospital in Chaiwan district of Udon Thani. He resigned from government service and went into the monkhood at the monastery about ten years ago.
A disciple of the late Luangta Maha Bua, Phra Bundhit had reportedly been a highly respected monk.

Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 2, 2015, 2:07 pm

Shxt. You'd think the BIB would be under a lot of pressure to get the perps on this one. I think we're going to hear a lot more about this. Surely no one living in Udon would risk offing a respected Udon abbot.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 2, 2015, 2:29 pm

Bit I cant understand .... probably translation ....... He was followed by men in a black pickup truck along a dirt track through a rubber plantation ...... and there seem to be eye witnesses that just happened to be down this dirt track in the middle of the rubber plantation before 8am in the morning to witness exactly what transpired :-k

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » March 2, 2015, 2:40 pm

stattointhailand wrote:Bit I cant understand .... probably translation ....... He was followed by men in a black pickup truck along a dirt track through a rubber plantation ...... and there seem to be eye witnesses that just happened to be down this dirt track in the middle of the rubber plantation before 8am in the morning to witness exactly what transpired :-k
A lot of people start work before sunrise, aprrox 6am, out in the sticks Statto.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » March 2, 2015, 2:45 pm

A bit more on this sad story from Thai PBS.......

The abbot of a temple in Udon Thani’s Muang district was shot dead as he was returning to the temple following his morning alm-receiving round Sunday morning.
Phra Bundit Subunthito, the abbot of Wat Pator Seesiad in Tambon Ban Tard, Muang district, was accompanied by a man and a boy on his alm-receiving round when he was gunned down.
Eyewitnesses told police that the gunman and his accomplice were riding on a pickup truck as they trailed the monk without his notice. When Phra Bundit was approaching the temple, the truck driver pulled the vehicle to stop in front of the monk, then the gunman disembarked and fired two shots at the monk, killing him at the scene.
Pol Maj-Gen Chaiyat Saithin, the Udon Thani provincial police chief, disclosed that the victim, former director of Nayoong hospital, used to be harassed by some men who also scattered spikes on roads leading to the temple to prevent people from making merits at the temple.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 2, 2015, 2:57 pm

My western brain tells me that monks don't 'just get shot', just like Russians enjoying a stone's throw from the Kremlin don't 'just get shot'. My years here have taught me that there's lots that goes on behind temple walls besides what meets the eye.......Dhammakaya, as an example. I'll watch the Thai press to see if there are any updates.....but have my doubts.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 2, 2015, 2:59 pm

Yes, something has been happening. It's becoming a real whodunnit. I hope one of the police officers is as sharp as Miss Marple although it might be so straight forward that KP already has it worked out. Updates appreciated.

redwolf
udonmap.com

Post by redwolf » March 2, 2015, 5:04 pm

Zidane wrote: Pol Maj-Gen Chaiyat Saithin, the Udon Thani provincial police chief, disclosed that the victim, former director of Nayoong hospital, used to be harassed by some men who also scattered spikes on roads leading to the temple to prevent people from making merits at the temple.
I asked my wife about this, and after explaining the details, that the guy was a forest monk, etc., and that I wonder why this could happen to a monk, she replied without hesitation:

"I don't wonder at all. Many forest monks are well known to do magic for and against people. Like separating this lady from that man, or to bring this or that man to this lady. A lot of monks do it, but the forest monks are the ones who do it most. They do magic to control some people, -that's not the job of the monk."

I asked for more clarification of "magic". She pantomimed the tying of dolls together, and chants. She said the chants are nothing to do with Buddhism at all.

I asked if it could be a misunderstanding, -like, if he was known as being well respected, maybe this monk wasn't doing black magic at all, BUT someone really manipulative, who had stolen some land or wanted to steal *something*, etc., or with a grudge against the monk, or whom otherwise wanted him out of the way, convinced and then persuaded others this monk was doing 'black magic' against them, that they should 'do something'. Just like the kind of evil portrayed on Thai television at night. Except that the "possessed by demons people" shown on television dramas, -in real life, aren't possessed, -they're just plain evil.

My wife said "maybe....", and then "or a really angry husband who lost the lady...".

Given the remarks by the police chief noted above by Zid, -it starts to 'make sense' in a place that *rarely does make sense*. In effect it was likely a senseless killing based on superstitions, lies, and bad intentions.

Opinion only.

RW
AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » March 2, 2015, 7:20 pm

I believe in this Mumbe jumbo. Ive heard about things "happen" I also believe they can put a curse on people. There is so much evil here .I was asked once if I want lift a curse I had. I went for it.... But it didnt work!
Maybe I crazy but every time there is a monks chanting Things happen around the house.
Like something falls off the shelf or something "accidentally " get broke.or things go "missing" Some thing breaks down.
I recon they bring out the dead, and they go around causing mischief !
Mai mee tahng !

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » March 2, 2015, 9:01 pm

voodoo crap, uneducated . sad though that such a philosophy has been dragged down to such a low level, or manipulation of the un-educated bit him on the ass
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » March 2, 2015, 10:00 pm

My wife's friend who has attended the monk's wake is telling my wife it's possibly something to do with a land deal. It's only speculation by police investigators also present and released that bit of information.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 2, 2015, 10:43 pm

The Thai Rath article below speculates on a land deal gone bad between the abbot and a former Nongkai court official who ordained and helped oversee the temple. Someone came along and offered up an adjacent piece of land...... 10 rai..... 1,000,000 Baht. . The abbot put down 500k but later backed out of the deal when he discovered the land paper was a fake.
No doubt, there'll be more to follow
http://www.thairath.co.th/content/484468

wayneor0
udonmap.com

Post by wayneor0 » March 3, 2015, 8:29 am

could be many reasons as many thais make monk to save their lives.pollies,business men etc guys that have made to many enemies making monk should put an end to it.we had one my wife pointed out to me who we gave to each morning she said he is a very rich man and was a pollie , he was about 50 spoke perfect english

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » March 3, 2015, 10:43 am

Phra Bundit murder probe hits problemsThe Nation March 3, 2015 1:00 am

UDON THANI police were unable to collect spent cartridges and other evidence in relation to the shooting on Sunday of a revered monk at Wat Pa Ban Tor Seesiad because the crime scene was cleared for the victim's funeral. :shock:
The late Phra Bundit Subandito's father also refused to allow police to perform an autopsy on the body, police said. So far, one cartridge was found at the scene and police are looking for another. Two men on a motorcycle ambushed the monk while he was collecting alms at the temple in Muang district on Sunday morning.

Phra Bundit Subandito, 48, was previously a physician and director of two local government hospitals. After entering the monkhood in 1997, he began taking care of elderly and ailing monks at the temple, which is known for its meditation classes and promoting an ascetic lifestyle.
The followers said a makeshift crematorium had been set up and the monk's cremation was scheduled for 1pm today. They said Phra Bundit had never spoken about getting death threats and rarely complained.
However, news reports said the monk had asked for police protection a month ago because he reportedly received death threats and road spikes had been scattered on the road leading to the temple.

bigsnake
udonmap.com

Post by bigsnake » March 4, 2015, 9:41 pm

All fairly inform sources that I know place blame on a LAND DEAL gone BAD! For sure the Power that be might want to look at who had most to gain by the death of this MONK<>starting with the FATHER and working down.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » March 13, 2015, 11:47 am

Latest development.....

Police probing monk's murder eye former local politician
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Udon Thani police have arrested a former local politician for his alleged involvement in the murder of a revered monk.
Wiwet Wichaiyo, a former head of a tambon municipality in Loei province, was released on bail after being charged with possessing firearms and ammunition.
Assistant police chief Pol Lt-General Panya Mamen said police found evidence that Wiwet was acquainted with a group of gunmen who shot dead Phra Bundit Supanthito on March 1. The proof was uncovered following a raid on Wiwet's home on Wednesday, which also turned up the M-16 ammunition and equipment.
Some of the items found in Wiwet's home were registered and others, like the M-16 bullets and magazines, were illegal, Panya said at a police press conference yesterday.
Wiwet denied playing any role in the murder but admitted to knowing a number of people whom police said were potentially involved, Panya added.
Udon Thai police are also carrying out a crackdown on criminal rackets and gun-for-hire cells. Three raids were conducted at three locations, which included the home of Wiwet and those of other people suspected of criminal activities.

-- The Nation 2015-03-13

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » March 21, 2015, 10:37 am

Thai TV news this morning showed the owner of AEK hospital Udon being taken in to custody for questioning in connection with this incident .No charges have yet been laid.
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 25, 2015, 3:07 pm

All immigration checkpoints placed on alert to prevent escape attempt by abbot murder suspects
http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/all-im ... r-suspects
All immigration checkpoints across the country were ordered to watch out for two wanted suspects in connection with the murder of a temple abbot in Udon Thani province on May 1 after the police feared they might flee the country.

Royal Thai Police assistant commissioner Pol Lt Gen Panya Mamen said he ordered all immigration checkpoints on alert after the police searched the Aek Udon hospital for more evidence early this morning when a suspect, Mr Bancherd Chatphaitoon, executive chairman of the hospital, was implicated as a mastermind of the murder of Phra Bandhit Subandhitto.

The search by a 100-strong combined force of commando police from the Crime Suppression Division (CSD), Fourth Region Provincial Police, and soldiers came after CSD police were able to capture the suspect gunman identified as Panja Chalisen, 49, in Kalasin province.

The man was an employee of the Vocational Education Commission Kalasin office.

His confession led the police to hunt for a police sergeant who drove for the gunman.

Panja said he was paid 50,000 baht by the police sergeant Charnchai Soisangwarn to shoot the abbot.

Pol Lt Gen Panya said the executive chairman’s office room at the hospital was locked, and he was not at the hospital.

Search at his residence also couldn’t locate him while his wife told police her husband is on a business trip in the provinces, the assistant commissioner said.

He said another team of commando police from the CSD and Fourth Region Provincial Police and soldiers also searched the house of Sgt Charnchai Soisangwarn to search for evidence linked to the murder.

He was not in but only his 76-year-old father.

A .22 rifle mounted with telescope, several rounds of .22, .357 rounds of ammunition were seized.

But the father told police that all belonged to his son and didn’t know when he left them at the house.

The police sergeant was said to be the person who drove the gunman to shoot the abbot. He then drove the car to a sawmill and hide it there until the police raided the mill and seized the car.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 27, 2015, 12:43 am

Extraordinary. This story is getting even bigger. Learning more about the motive is going to be interesting.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » March 27, 2015, 7:16 am

Cop wanted over monk killing held. With the help of Laotian authorities, police yesterday apprehended a junior policeman accused of being involved in the murder of a revered Udon Thani-based monk earlier this month, national police chief General Somyot Poompanmuang said yesterday.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nationa ... 56830.html

Return to “Udon Thani News”