retiring

General Udon Thani topics only!
can123
udonmap.com

retiring

Post by can123 » March 1, 2015, 8:33 pm

noosard wrote:Can123 you made the secod post
Nobody said anything till after your opening statement
"Nobody in his right mind would retire to Udon Thani if he could afford to retire to Bangkok."
you put everyone retired in Udon on-side or is that offside
and kicked an own goal
well done
An own goal ? You must be joking. I repeat, most people would prefer to live in Bangkok if they could afford to. It is for exactly the same reasons that rich people decide to live in London rather than Peterborough, Leicester, Milton Keynes, etc.

The traffic in Udon Thani is a nightmare in rush hour and the poor design of the roads makes it almost impossible to reduce the problems. Considering the relatively low population of the city its traffic problems come as a big surprise to the newcomer. Nong Khai is a dream !

The province of Udon Thani has some lovely places and I like it a lot. The city, however, is not so clever. If I decided to live in the province, it would be good enough for essential shopping but not for anything else.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

retiring

Post by jackspratt » March 1, 2015, 8:45 pm

can123 wrote: I repeat, most people would prefer to live in Bangkok if they could afford to.
Another wildly generalised, and I suspect, unsustainable statement. Right up there with:
People here are refusing to accept that the amenities of a capital city in every country are better than those provided in the lesser cities.
Based on the responses so far on this thread, the "most people" seems to consist of your good self. :-k

I could certainly afford to live in Bangkok - but if I were of a mind to move, there are many places in Thailand I would choose before the polluted and traffic-clogged capital. [-(

can123
udonmap.com

retiring

Post by can123 » March 1, 2015, 9:23 pm

jackspratt wrote: Based on the responses so far on this thread, the "most people" seems to consist of your good self. :-k [-(

Of course, I am in a minority. It's almost certain that previous posts have been made by men who live in the city of Udon Thani. The province is fine, the city falls way short of expectations.

Dokya
udonmap.com

retiring

Post by Dokya » March 1, 2015, 10:01 pm

I'm with you Can123 and I've lived n Udon for 6 years.

FLICKFLACKER404
udonmap.com

retiring

Post by FLICKFLACKER404 » March 2, 2015, 1:15 am

i,m a lesbian

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

retiring

Post by Khun Paul » March 2, 2015, 5:16 am

Immature are we, well everyone is fully aware of the amenities of a capital city, most have worked or lived in one at one time or another. Lets look at this properly. capital cities are vast normally clogged with traffic, polluted, too many people , they have supposedly good and possibly the best in everything that country has to offer, from social activities to luxuries, possibly they cost more to live in but for most that is not a problem.

People choose to live outside capital cities in their retiring years to get away from the stress/ the pollution, the crowds and certainly the traffic, to be blunt they want to retire not have to fight their way through hordes of people or deal with traffic just to get about their daily lives, for that they are willing to give up some of their social activities ( theatre/dining etc :- ) to achieve this . Many in this country plumped for Udon Thani, not perfect ( but is anywhere ) but seems to offer what people want, with the added bonus of being almost Central in Thailand . ease of access to neighbouring countries and well as not being that far from the Capital should you wish to visit it.

Those including myself that viewed the post as against Udon and for Bangkok were wrong, but that is what it seemed to be. Udon Thani has one thing Bangkok in all the years I have lived here hasn't ,that is clean fresh air and quietness. I can hear the frogs in the rainy season and the call of the birds at dawn almost every day. I see the sun, enjoy sitting in the garden sipping a drink in the shade. These things I have never been able to do in Bangkok, nor for that matter London, but as I lived in the Northwest of London after moving from Caledonian Road, we did have Hampstead Heath, which was as near to the country as one could hope to get often.

Udon Thani does not fall way below expectations, it does not have to live up to expectations, it just has to service many peoples needs and for this old fart it does that just fine, so it may fall below other peoples expectations but that is their problem. I can easily afford to live in Bangkok, and had wanted to buy a condo there but after two weeks pulled out as one could see that it was not a good decision. One which I have NEVER regretted at all.

I am sat here at 0515, and all I can hear at the moment is a motorcycle gently passing my house, then utter quiet, that is what I like and when if ever it gets noisier in the years to come I will by then be too bloody deaf to hear it, so I wont mind at all.

trubrit
udonmap.com

retiring

Post by trubrit » March 2, 2015, 7:17 am

Personally in my advancing years I find I have an aversion to being in crowds, even being in Udon at weekends is too much for me .Living where I do , just 40km from town, I can enjoy the solitude and yet a mid week trip, just once a week, fulfills my needs.I go home, my stock of farang foods replenished, to enjoy the tranquility of country living .Bangkok? You can keep it , too many foreigners there. Suppose you could say the same about my birth town of London .Maybe even Udon , one day. If I'm still around, I'll skip the one day out and leave the shopping to the wife .
Towns are for working in , not living . :-"
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Nong Bua Dave
udonmap.com

retiring

Post by Nong Bua Dave » March 2, 2015, 2:29 pm

This morning I needed to go and do my 90 Day report at Immigration.
We left home (Nong Bua - just the other side of Mittraphap) at 8:15 and I was standing in a queue of 4 by 8:40.
At 8:50 I left the office with a new report form in my passport.
Our place in Don Muang is about the same distance from Chang Wattana Immigration, as here.
It would have taken that long, just get there and find a parking space. Then, it'd be up to another hour before I'd be finished, because of the queue.
Being so early, my wife decided to go and renew her passport, for an upcoming trip to Oz.
It was 8:55 and there was a small queue of around 15 people. It looked like we might be here some time - wrong again. I went outside and had a coffee; had just finished it and a piece of cake, when she was also finished.
We then drove back home and parked the car, all just after 10:00.
Tell me you can do that in Bangkok ?

Galee
udonmap.com

retiring

Post by Galee » March 2, 2015, 2:47 pm

A couple of years ago I was sitting outside Gullivers, BKK, with some friends, when it started to rain. Later in the evening we all noticed that where the rain drops had landed on our clothes they were discoloured. Black was now grey etc.
Not a problem I think your find here in Udon.

can123
udonmap.com

retiring

Post by can123 » March 2, 2015, 5:28 pm

trubrit wrote:Personally in my advancing years I find I have an aversion to being in crowds, even being in Udon at weekends is too much for me .Living where I do , just 40km from town, I can enjoy the solitude and yet a mid week trip, just once a week, fulfills my needs.I go home, my stock of farang foods replenished, to enjoy the tranquility of country living .Bangkok? You can keep it , too many foreigners there. Suppose you could say the same about my birth town of London .Maybe even Udon , one day. If I'm still around, I'll skip the one day out and leave the shopping to the wife .

I agree completely. Considering the fact that the city of Udon Thani has a relatively small population it has many features which are unattractive. At this moment my family are happily immersed in the jungle which is Nong Bua Lamphu. It is a beautiful place, as is the province of Udon Thani ( already acknowledged in a previous post ).

I will not live in Udon Thani and, to illustrate the fact that I am not being critical of the city just for the sake of it, I will definitely not be living in the city of Loei either. Totally horrid place as far as I am concerned. I was lucky to be able to visit it on a day when it was not under six feet of water.

rct
udonmap.com

retiring

Post by rct » March 2, 2015, 7:17 pm

There is no accounting for taste.

I lived many years each in Bangkok, Phuket, Udon Thani, (21 years total) and can afford to live in any of them, we chose Udon 6 years ago for family reasons, which is not to say we intend to stay forever. I still frequent all, as well as the major capital cities across Asia, traveling on a monthly basis for work, so suppose I get the taste of the big cities all too frequently. Udon is certainly more of a simple life than Bangkok, with a down to earth culture, which I find refreshing. Apart from the peak rush hour traffic, I can get to where I need to go rather reliably within 8-10-15 minutes, meaning get kids to school, or to Central, UD Town, Nong Prajak, the hospital, the airport, the car dealer, variety of places to dine.

Having said that, if one did not come to Udon "for a local woman" am not sure it would be the choice for too many foreign men.

can123
udonmap.com

retiring

Post by can123 » March 2, 2015, 7:30 pm

[quote="rct"Having said that, if one did not come to Udon "for a local woman" am not sure it would be the choice for too many foreign men.[/quote]

Exactly ! There are many great places to live in Thailand - Rayong, Ayuthaya. Kanchanaburi, Nong Khai, Chiang Khan and some parts of Khorat are absolutely superb. In my case my wife wants to live a suitable distance away from all the family. Close enough for a weekend visit, perhaps, but no so close as to be lumbered with looking after the kids.

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

retiring

Post by NongKhaiLee » March 3, 2015, 9:33 am

I have been in NongKhai for nearly seven years, I like heading down to Udon. But I do like the coolness of the weather up in the Chiang Khan/ Loei area, during the hot season sure wish I was there!

I remember sitting on an expressway in Bangkok, watching a mouse run around under and in between the vehicles for nearly twenty minutes...no worries about being run over, because the cars weren't going anywhere! Can't remember saying I ever saw that in Udon. The only time I have seen bad traffic in Udon is during the usual morning and afternoon rush times. Even then it's nothing like Bangkok.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

retiring

Post by Khun Paul » March 3, 2015, 12:30 pm

What a wonderful piece of generalisation and an insult to many foreigners who come here." If one did not come here foir the local women , one wouldn't come here at all "
personally I take that as an insult RCT, I do not really care one jot how long you have resided in Thailand, to utter such a generalisation is completely wrong. Some may come to Udom for the women, but most who seek the pleasures of the flesh first go to the hot-beds of those indescreet enterprises Phuket/Pattaya/Bangkok/ maybe even Chiang mai, but not normally first time to Udon .
Secondly many women from Issan frequent these places to seek young /old partners, so eventually they come back to UDON.
As for can123 well what can one say led by his wife and a simplee yes man springs to mind.
Stop trying to convince uss all we are wrong. Get a life you too RCT , go globe trotting and leave your insults in another country.

tamada
udonmap.com

retiring

Post by tamada » March 3, 2015, 2:08 pm

can123 wrote: I agree completely. Considering the fact that the city of Udon Thani has a relatively small population it has many features which are unattractive. At this moment my family are happily immersed in the jungle which is Nong Bua Lamphu. It is a beautiful place, as is the province of Udon Thani ( already acknowledged in a previous post ).

I will not live in Udon Thani and, to illustrate the fact that I am not being critical of the city just for the sake of it, I will definitely not be living in the city of Loei either. Totally horrid place as far as I am concerned. I was lucky to be able to visit it on a day when it was not under six feet of water.
Funnily enough, I reckon Nongbualamphu is a veritable backwater compared to Meuang Udon Thani. Loei has much more excitement and things going for it. The only place possibly more parochial than NBL is Nongkhai.

Even Kumphawapi pisses all over your choices... so far.

parrot
udonmap.com

retiring

Post by parrot » March 3, 2015, 2:33 pm

Khun Paul wrote:What a wonderful piece of generalisation and an insult to many foreigners who come here." If one did not come here foir the local women , one wouldn't come here at all "
personally I take that as an insult RCT, I do not really care one jot how long you have resided in Thailand, to utter such a generalisation is completely wrong. Some may come to Udom for the women, but most who seek the pleasures of the flesh first go to the hot-beds of those indescreet enterprises Phuket/Pattaya/Bangkok/ maybe even Chiang mai, but not normally first time to Udon .
Secondly many women from Issan frequent these places to seek young /old partners, so eventually they come back to UDON.
As for can123 well what can one say led by his wife and a simplee yes man springs to mind.
Stop trying to convince uss all we are wrong. Get a life you too RCT , go globe trotting and leave your insults in another country.

KP, I think you're reading far too much into RCT's statement "Having said that, if one did not come to Udon "for a local woman" am not sure it would be the choice for too many foreign men." I could say that I came to Udon "for a local woman"........my wife is from Nongharn.....and having met her 43 years ago, I decided to come (back) to Udon to satisfy the desires "of a local woman".
Matter of fact, I'd say most everyone I know (which isn't saying all that much), lives in Udon/surrounding areas because of the desires of a local woman to be near her family/friends/birthplace......so in that sense, they're here "for a local woman".
Time for a chill pill, I think.

GT93
udonmap.com

retiring

Post by GT93 » March 3, 2015, 2:36 pm

I'd like one too please parrot ... They "sound" yum. :D
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

kubotatim
udonmap.com

retiring

Post by kubotatim » March 3, 2015, 3:57 pm

can123 wrote:
trubrit wrote:Personally in my advancing years I find I have an aversion to being in crowds, even being in Udon at weekends is too much for me .Living where I do , just 40km from town, I can enjoy the solitude and yet a mid week trip, just once a week, fulfills my needs.I go home, my stock of farang foods replenished, to enjoy the tranquility of country living .Bangkok? You can keep it , too many foreigners there. Suppose you could say the same about my birth town of London .Maybe even Udon , one day. If I'm still around, I'll skip the one day out and leave the shopping to the wife .

I agree completely. Considering the fact that the city of Udon Thani has a relatively small population it has many features which are unattractive. At this moment my family are happily immersed in the jungle which is Nong Bua Lamphu. It is a beautiful place, as is the province of Udon Thani ( already acknowledged in a previous post ).

What are you talking about, I have lived here for many years and I have never seen a flood in Loei, you do know it is 300 above sea level!!!! it is a lovely relaxing area and far cooler than Udon and far far cooler than that concrete jungle called Bangkok.

can123
udonmap.com

retiring

Post by can123 » March 3, 2015, 4:03 pm

parrot wrote:KP, I think you're reading far too much into RCT's statement "Having said that, if one did not come to Udon "for a local woman" am not sure it would be the choice for too many foreign men." I could say that I came to Udon "for a local woman"........my wife is from Nongharn.....and having met her 43 years ago, I decided to come (back) to Udon to satisfy the desires "of a local woman".
Matter of fact, I'd say most everyone I know (which isn't saying all that much), lives in Udon/surrounding areas because of the desires of a local woman to be near her family/friends/birthplace......so in that sense, they're here "for a local woman".
Time for a chill pill, I think.

Yes, Khun Paul lacks the ability to discuss anything in a reasonable manner and seeks to interpret everything with a view to confrontation. Definitely time for a "chill pill" and, if that does not suffice, perhaps an education might be the last resort.

I will in Thailand whee I wish to live and, being reasonable myself, I will take my wife's views into account. If she is unhappy to live in a particular place, I have to take notice of this. Presently, I am free to live anywhere.

Now, please cool down, Khun Paul.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

retiring

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 3, 2015, 5:14 pm

can123 wrote:<snip>
Now, please cool down, Khun Paul.
And spend a little time using the spelling/grammar check facility before pressing the"'Submit" button on some of the tripe you contribute to this site.

Just right click on words with the red underscore and technology will do it for you!

Let the tirade commence!!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”