Garmin GPS

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
Mobaan
udonmap.com

Garmin GPS

Post by Mobaan » July 3, 2013, 6:11 pm

Is there anybody in Udon who can service/repair/setup Garmin GPS units ?

bumper
udonmap.com

Garmin GPS

Post by bumper » July 3, 2013, 6:16 pm

Not that I know of, I used to mail mine to Eagle GPS in Chaing Mai for new installation of maps Ect. Worked pretty good.

Might want to give them a call
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Garmin GPS

Post by FrazeeDK » July 3, 2013, 8:32 pm

can't say for sure (I need to check myself) but the "krajok lot yon" windsheld, "film" place across from the new Toyota dealership on the west side ring road (past Global House on the right just east of the railway crossing) also has on their sign "GPS".. Personally, I need my receiver firmware, GPS software and map software updated...
Dave

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Garmin GPS

Post by jackspratt » July 3, 2013, 8:44 pm

FrazeeDK wrote: Personally, I need my receiver firmware, GPS software and map software updated...
It's all here:

http://www.noeman.org/gsm/garmin-gps-system/

This is for Garmin - other major brands have their own section in the forum.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Garmin GPS

Post by FrazeeDK » July 4, 2013, 7:49 am

yup, got the receiver and Garmin updates but... unfortunately when following the instructions for my Radio/CD/GPS system in my Isuzu, when I get to the software update block, the button on the screen is grayed out.. So, somewhere in the system is a magical unlock button I and the system manual don't know about.
Dave

bumper
udonmap.com

Garmin GPS

Post by bumper » July 4, 2013, 1:02 pm

The maps for Thailand are not produced by Garmin. That might be why to running into that. Give them a call might be able to answer your question on the phone. The contact I have had with them has always been good. Thay also have a location in Bangkok

Home Contact Us
Eagle GPS Co., Ltd.
Eagle GPS

Address:
Pantip Plaza Building
Office 2106 (2nd Fl.)
152/1 Chang Klan Rd
Muang
Chiang Mai
Thailand

Telephone: (+66) 053 288060
Fax: (+66) 053 288060
Mobile Phone Number: (+66) 0832 035 200
http://www.eaglegps.co.th

Information:
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

udonmarc
Admin

Garmin GPS

Post by udonmarc » July 10, 2013, 9:11 am

Fascinating. When I was looking at buying a vehicle, I first went to an authorized Garmin dealer in Bangkok, ESRI. They told me that Garmin does not yet have street level maps for Udon, so I didn't buy it. Ended up buying a Toyota VIGO with navigation built in, and it works great. Anyone know who manufactures the Toyota navigation?

bumper
udonmap.com

Garmin GPS

Post by bumper » July 10, 2013, 12:18 pm

Interesting my map is by ESRI and does show the Udon streets.

Mobaan
udonmap.com

Garmin GPS

Post by Mobaan » July 15, 2013, 9:01 pm

The autoglass place across from the new Toyota place is a treat .WOW. It can rival with any such shop I have seen in the US . They indeed have GPS -not Garmin ,thou. They tried their best ,but then referred me to that Garmin dealer in Khon Kaen . One step closer the the solution ,I hope .
Thanks for the tip.

Arosolius
udonmap.com

Garmin GPS

Post by Arosolius » January 27, 2015, 2:33 pm

I want to report that I've had fantastic service from Eagle GPS in Chiang Mai which is where I bought my Garmin online. I'm not too good at following instructions but the staff there have gone out of their way to educate me on how to use it. They've sent me PDF snapshots of the various screens with instructions on what buttons to press and so forth. And when I really became confused recently they actually made me a personal video going through everything.
The device itself is fantastic value for money in my opinion. I've so far been on 4 driving trips around Thailand extending from 2 - 4 weeks. The GPS allows me to get to an hotel (it actually finds me a hotel if I want) and then press the HOME button and that means I can go anywhere for the day and it will get me back to the hotel. I've been places I could never have known existed using a map and I can turn up any country lane and explore in safety. There's also an ATTRACTIONS button which, when pressed, shows all the attractions in the area I'm in & how to get there. More than once I've been low on fuel too but I only have to ask it and it shows me the nearest petrol or LPG station. There are many more features like police stations, shopping, hospitals etc. etc. and I bought the cheapest model in the range.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Garmin GPS

Post by jackspratt » January 27, 2015, 2:51 pm

Arosolius wrote:..............and I bought the cheapest model in the range.
Which model is that?

And what did you pay?

Arosolius
udonmap.com

Garmin GPS

Post by Arosolius » January 28, 2015, 8:34 am

It's a Garmin Nuvi 42.
I bought it about a year ago, can't remember how much I paid but the price wasn't any cheaper anywhere else I looked.
I don't know what the more expensive models do that the Nuvi 42 doesn't.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Garmin GPS

Post by jackspratt » January 28, 2015, 8:59 am

Arosolius wrote:It's a Garmin Nuvi 42.
I bought it about a year ago, can't remember how much I paid but the price wasn't any cheaper anywhere else I looked.
I don't know what the more expensive models do that the Nuvi 42 doesn't.
I have a 52 (purchased in Oz, and much cheaper than Thailand) - basically the same as a 42, but with a larger screen.

I find it does all I need driving around Thailand, but the 42/52 models are pretty much bottom of the Nuvi range, and have now been superseded by the 55.

This will give you an idea of the differences between the 42 and 55 (disregard the LM - it stands for Lifetime Maps, and has nothing to do with the functionality of the units).

http://www.gpscompared.net/garmin-nuvi-42lm-vs-55lm/

fatbob
udonmap.com

Garmin GPS

Post by fatbob » January 28, 2015, 5:54 pm

I just had my Garmin nuvi 2465 reprogrammed at MBK on the 4th floor, cost 100 baht.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Garmin GPS

Post by jackspratt » January 28, 2015, 7:51 pm

What do you mean by "reprogrammed" coxo eg

- updated map(s)
- updated firmware
- other?

fatbob
udonmap.com

Garmin GPS

Post by fatbob » January 28, 2015, 9:14 pm

Updated maps, it had not been used for over two years, when we turned it on it came up it needed reprogramming, the thing wouldn't work, not to sure exactly but it works now.

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”