Another cautionary tale about investing off shore

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » December 22, 2014, 12:02 pm

Joe Lewis: British trader behind get-rich-quick scheme disappears with £130 MILLION of clients' cash
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jo ... nd-4850735
A businessman who persuaded investors to join a get-rich-quick scheme has disappeared along with £130 million of their cash, it was revealed today.

Joe Lewis, 59, vanished after admitting to clients in an email that his company JL Trading had not done any business in five years and all their money had gone.

Wealthy investors, rumoured to include professional golfers and footballers, joined his scheme after being promised big returns.

But after briefly visiting relatives in Hull, East Yorkshire, he has now disappeared from his offices in Turkey.

Police have begun an investigation and a civil action has been launched against him to freeze his accounts and seize any remaining assets he may have.

it is thought Lewis has headed to the Far East.
So maybe in Udon pretty soon...
Since 2009 it appears (from his own words) that he has been taking investors money fraudulently.
On 3rd, december he gave all his clients a very merry Christmas with a confessional e-mail..
Dear investor, I am writing to inform you that JL Trading is ceasing to carry on business.

“Contrary to the impression I have hitherto given, the business has lost almost all of its assets and there appears no prospect of those assets being recouped.

“JL Trading ceased foreign exchange trading in 2009 following substantial losses and since that time the business has suffered further losses which I have tried to make good through investments in a number of commercial projects.

“However, it is now clear that the business will not be able to recover its losses and must cease trading.”

He added: “I can only apologise unreservedly for any losses or unfulfilled expectations of profit.

“I have tried to recover the position for a considerable period of time but it is now clear that I will be unable to do so. I sincerely regret that I have not been able to do better on your behalf.”
He was offering monthly returns of up to 3% on a minimum £16K investment.
Another case of 'if it looks too good then it probably is'.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » December 22, 2014, 12:36 pm

"Another case of 'if it looks too good then it probably is'."

The same might be said about young Thai girls under half our age. Some might dispute that and assert they are living proof that isn't true. :?

Bob, if you post this blighter's mugshot, some Brit might want to give him a gobful if he's seen in Soi Samphan. He might think he's less likely to be found in Isan than Pattaya. The Aussies and Kiwis in Soi Samphan would probably prefer to get drunk on this scoundrel's money before giving him a serve. :D

Buddha help him if KP catches up with him.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

JR
udonmap.com

Post by JR » December 22, 2014, 6:39 pm

An article about this figure with a picture, can be found at: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jo ... nd-4850735

waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » December 22, 2014, 7:18 pm

JR wrote:An article about this figure with a picture, can be found at: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jo ... nd-4850735
Have not seen him in Udon yet. 8)
Please wear suitable clothing when attending a concert in Udon Thani. Slacks and short-sleeved shirts are ok, shorts, tank tops or muscle shirts are not.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » December 23, 2014, 9:51 am

Aahh he's ripped off professional golfers and footballers. I hope he hasn't nicked any professional boxers' money. I wouldn't want them coming after me. :(
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”