The Best Christmas Song?

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

The Best Christmas Song?

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » December 21, 2014, 2:50 am

This one by the 76-year old Darlene Love surely qualifies,

This is how it the original sounded in 1963,

You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

The Best Christmas Song?

Post by stattointhailand » December 21, 2014, 1:36 pm

And this is probably one of Udonmaps aussie songsters attempting his version of it in London's East End c 1968 :lol:
Brick Lane.jpg
Last edited by stattointhailand on December 21, 2014, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

The Best Christmas Song?

Post by stattointhailand » December 21, 2014, 1:41 pm

pomps
udonmap.com

The Best Christmas Song?

Post by pomps » December 21, 2014, 2:12 pm

Maybe this one :badteeth:

Jing Jing
udonmap.com

The Best Christmas Song?

Post by Jing Jing » December 21, 2014, 2:31 pm

vlad
udonmap.com

The Best Christmas Song?

Post by vlad » December 21, 2014, 3:49 pm

Its Darling love for me as well followed by Lennon and yoko's happy Christmas war is over.

Rono
udonmap.com

The Best Christmas Song?

Post by Rono » December 21, 2014, 5:24 pm

its Darling love followed by Lennon and Yoko

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

The Best Christmas Song?

Post by stattointhailand » December 21, 2014, 5:43 pm

Never heard of Darlene Love before and having just listened to the link provided by LYM, I can only say ...... WOW, am I glad I missed it in 1963 and for the last 50 years ..... if it's another 50 years before I have to hear it again I will be quite happy.
It's bloody awful

vlad
udonmap.com

The Best Christmas Song?

Post by vlad » December 21, 2014, 6:07 pm

its the Phil Spectre sound Statto class.

bignote1
udonmap.com

The Best Christmas Song?

Post by bignote1 » December 21, 2014, 6:18 pm

I hope you don't mind LYM but I have chosen two. Both for different occasions.
As a boy Evensong was, to my mind, the most important Church service of the year, because after a good nights sleep(or not) there would be presents and turkey and mince pies the next day.
The Shepherds Pipe Carol written by John Milford Rutter reminds of that service although I never heard it in my day it was written in the 60's.My favourite version is done by Batavia Madrigal Singers with Macau Orchestra.
Its on utube youtube.com/watch?v=4EhVWGHDM9c
For you Irish sweats Val Doonican does a good version as well also on utube.
For opening presents on Christmas morning I have chosen "Christmas with Nat and Dean"
Unfortunately they don't make crooners like Nat individual Cole, Dean Martin or Matt Monroe anymore

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

The Best Christmas Song?

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » December 22, 2014, 12:13 am

These are very interesting comments and suggestions, and one can nominate as many of these songs as you would like.

I agree with Vlad that the Darlene Love song is much more than that, it is as one writer said 'an event'. The wall of sound feature is truly amazing.

Poor Statto, what can one say? Well, here is a version from 1995 in which Ms. Love is in full voice. Let the song captivate you:-

You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

GT93
udonmap.com

The Best Christmas Song?

Post by GT93 » December 22, 2014, 8:56 am

Oh dear, I think I'm with statts on this one LYM. The piano player was pretty cool, but I wouldn't let a 100 kg plus singer jump on my piano if I had one. :D

I'm not a big fan of Christmas so I envy you guys in Thailand at this end of year. That's sandgroper jack in your photo Statts? Or maybe Zero Sanuk (ronan01)? Deepest apologies to jack. :D
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

trubrit
udonmap.com

The Best Christmas Song?

Post by trubrit » December 22, 2014, 9:42 am

Oh dear LYM, as a follower of your You Tube which normally features sweet songs and singers, I am amazed at your choice of Christmas song. I suppose with a full orchestra and six backing singers the old lady has to shout to be heard. However her raucous voice does nothing to remind me of the joyous occasion of Christmas. To me the memories of this happy time are best reflected in the voices of the young in glorious harmony as in the attached video .This is the sound that sends tingles up my spine and brings back memories of previous joyous Christmas gatherings with my family .It's right up there to listening to the Queen's speech at 3pm on Christmas day. May you and everyone on the Map enjoy and have a happy Christmas .
http://youtu.be/2qWSaXsdlGo
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

GT93
udonmap.com

The Best Christmas Song?

Post by GT93 » December 22, 2014, 9:51 am

Oh trubrit, it's a big speech on the 25th. Will she? Won't she? Will the compulsive meddler be an individual by this time next year?

GT93
udonmap.com

The Best Christmas Song?

Post by GT93 » December 22, 2014, 9:53 am

The web is being bananas: "an individual" should be reading "an individual". Oh what's happening? The North Koreans must be playing with me. The post isn't posting what I'm writing - an individual.

GT93
udonmap.com

The Best Christmas Song?

Post by GT93 » December 22, 2014, 9:55 am

It still isn't - the Kxng.

trubrit
udonmap.com

The Best Christmas Song?

Post by trubrit » December 22, 2014, 10:16 am

GT93 wrote:Oh trubrit, it's a big speech on the 25th. Will she? Won't she? Will the compulsive meddler be an individual by this time next year?
I hope my Queen does take the break she truly deserves, after all both she and her husband are way past the normal age at which the rest of us have retired .I had the privilege to be one of the thousands of servicemen selected to line the route at Her Coronation and like many, wondered how this young attractive girl would cope with the huge mantle she was assuming, after all she had the role thrust on her by the abdication of her Uncle quite unexpectedly.Now over sixty years later, after devoting a lifetime of service to the Nation it is surely time to relax.As to her successor, there is a grand swell of opinion in the UK that as Charles is now also entitled to be a pensioner, so rather old to rule, his son William should inherit the title, thereby bringing the Monarchy straight in to the modern world which it appears his father would struggle with .
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

GT93
udonmap.com

The Best Christmas Song?

Post by GT93 » December 22, 2014, 10:26 am

Holy smoke trubrit you are ancient. Even uncle bob would be way younger than you? My mother would have just been going through puberty when you were lining the route.

I'd prefer individual Charles. I think Willie imperils the monarchy much more than Prince Charles. Not enough gravitas. It'd be a big mistake to have him on the throne. He (and his Mrs) probably still have too much libido to be safe pairs of hands. The royal family are notorious for putting it around apart from the current sovereign and her husband.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

The Best Christmas Song?

Post by stattointhailand » December 22, 2014, 8:11 pm

I'm sure you will understand if I don't open the second version LYM (GBH of the earhole once every 50 years or so is enough) :yikes: ........ even Ertha Kitt sounded better than this old dog (well occasionally anyway :lol: )

I'm actually starting to think that perhaps even Johnny Mathis wasn't as bad as I remember :lol:

bignote1
udonmap.com

The Best Christmas Song?

Post by bignote1 » December 22, 2014, 8:53 pm

trubrit wrote: his son William should inherit the title, thereby bringing the Monarchy straight in to the modern world which it appears his father would struggle with .
TB.......with respect, the single ruler Monarchy concept unifying different tribes started in the 8th and 9th century with Offa and Alfred the Great however it didn't adopt its current form until the Tudors came along. Its an anachronism which only has domestic social and global value because it is an anachronism. I for one don't want to bring it into the modern world. I have total respect for Her Majesty and her consort but would prefer they be left behind the times.....its what makes them more interesting. I feel much more comfortable seeing them in old rollers and horse drawn carriages than Mercs and Cadillacs. IMO young royals can be as modern as they like but the people that count should be "old world"
Before anyone complains I have only added to this post because I'm writing a Christmas Song about the Royal Family.

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”