Ginger Beer Starter/ Plant?

General Udon Thani topics only!
wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » September 20, 2014, 10:26 am

Righto....

Im loving this thread as im sure we are going to get some good brews coming up soon.....

Mudguard
udonmap.com

Ginger Beer SUCCESS, SUCCESS, SUCCESS...

Post by Mudguard » September 22, 2014, 5:26 am

Hi, everyone..The ginger beer came out with flying colors to say the least. I am truly amazed..I followed the receipt from "Wallylee". I made two changes as follows... I made-up an extra 400 gms of cut ginger in hot water and boiled for 20 minutes to get the ginger out of the plant..I added this to the final mix as I love ginger..Also, it says to add 28 cups of cold water. I only added 20 cups of cold water to the final mix..

It worked out perfectly. After bottling in coke plastic, the bottles started to get hard within 2 days from the gas build-up.

After 7 days I put into the fridge and opened the next day.. BANG! It fizzed better then a keg of beer. It tasted first class...I am starting another batch today.. Cheers, Mudguard.

BigRick808
udonmap.com

Post by BigRick808 » September 23, 2014, 7:01 am

Be careful. That stuff is addictive :)

Mudguard
udonmap.com

Post by Mudguard » September 23, 2014, 9:11 am

Yes, I know. I cannot get enough of it...Ginger beer that is..........

Mudguard
udonmap.com

Post by Mudguard » September 30, 2014, 8:23 pm

I just bottled my latest lot...I am now trying to do the next lot without lemon juice...When I was a kid I know for a fact my gran never mixed lemon in the bug, etc. The ginger beer was always a very strong ginger taste...
So, I will try and see how it goes....
Has anyone got any ideas on this subject of no lemon? Cheers, Mudguard...

BigRick808
udonmap.com

Post by BigRick808 » October 1, 2014, 8:41 am

Sure :) I never used lemon. Seems to me it would throw the taste off. But to each his own. I never used it for the starter culture either, and I always had success. But a little in the starter to lower the pH is probable a good idea. Try with and without and see how it goes.
As far as the ginger goes... if you have a juicer, I bet that would work well. I'd still take the leftovers and boil that gently for about 45 min or so. If you don't have a juicer, the smaller you cut it the better. Another tip is to chop it and dry it in the shade and then boil it for about an hour. You'll get more flavor this way. If you juice it you should mix the juice with boiling water for about a minute to kill any unwanted critters.

Mudguard
udonmap.com

Post by Mudguard » October 3, 2014, 10:14 pm

Thanks BigRick...Well, I opened after 5 days wait today the last lot and it tastes absolutely fantastic..
.Better than Sweppes...
I will be bottling my next lot on Monday without the lemon in the mix and will keep you informed..Cheers..Mudguard..

BigRick808
udonmap.com

Post by BigRick808 » October 3, 2014, 11:16 pm

Did you get much overflow when you opened it? I thought back to the last time I made it and recall 4 days(after too much fizz at 5-7 days) being how long I waited and still had more carbonation than it really needed. If I try it again I think I'll pop one open at three days to see how it is. If not right, just screw the top back on--shouldn't be a problem.
I read somewhere that hibiscus tea makes a good drink. If you're game enough to try, let me know the outcome.

Mudguard
udonmap.com

Post by Mudguard » October 5, 2014, 12:08 pm

I only got an overflow if I shook the bottle...I notice the BITE in the ginger taste and the fizz is still there after opening for 2 days...

Yes, I have checked my bottles after 3 days and one dose not lose anything unless one gives it a good shake first....I release the tops when I feel the bottles are getting too hard through the gas build-up

I put half kilo ginger in a blender today then boiled it for an hour.. Boy, is it gingery....I think it would take the paint off the walls of a fifty year old dunny... :roll:

I will mix it tomorrow with my next mix and keep you informed if it is OK without the lemon..I am also looking into trying other types of gassy drinks.. Cheers.. \:D/

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » October 5, 2014, 12:33 pm

Staying with my 83 yo mother in Australia and she nearly died when i asked her if she used Lemon Juice in the GB plant. Lol

Mudguard
udonmap.com

Post by Mudguard » October 5, 2014, 5:13 pm

Hi Wazza...Yes, I remember my gran never used lemon..I must admit the lemon mix is very good in my last lot but, I am trying to get the olde receipt of only ginger n no lemon at all...I will bottle tomorrow n will keep all informed how it went...
Wazza...If your still with your mum can you ask what she used for the start-up bug please...Cheers. 8)

Mudguard
udonmap.com

Post by Mudguard » October 12, 2014, 6:34 pm

The mix with no lemon at all was a great success.. It has plenty of gas and the very strong flavor of ginger really cleans out ones throat as it goes down...If you like ginger, this is it... Cheers

Mudguard
udonmap.com

Post by Mudguard » October 18, 2014, 8:24 am

Another thing I have noticed is when a bottle has been opened for 3 to 5 days the drink left in the bottle still has great fizz and flavor.

One dose not get this long-life in a coke or other drinks bought from a shop..They usually go flat after one day..

Cheers..Mudguard.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » October 22, 2014, 2:10 pm

Mudguard

sorry for the late reply mate, Mums been admitted for respite care and a little off colour , so to speak.

She did mention the CWA recipe book, but I couldn't find it at home.

Googled it and Burkes Backyard has the original recipe...

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/fact-s ... EdX85VxmgU

But it has Lemon juice !! WTF

Mudguard
udonmap.com

Post by Mudguard » October 22, 2014, 2:45 pm

Thanks very much Wazza...No problems..Cheers, Mudguard

BigRick808
udonmap.com

Post by BigRick808 » November 3, 2014, 11:54 pm

Mudguard wrote:Another thing I have noticed is when a bottle has been opened for 3 to 5 days the drink left in the bottle still has great fizz and flavor.

One dose not get this long-life in a coke or other drinks bought from a shop..They usually go flat after one day..

Cheers..Mudguard.
It's great to see that you're having good experiences with drink making. The reason for that is due to the yeast still being slightly active and producing CO2, even at a cold temperature. Seems to be a hardy wild strain. With commercial drinks there is no yeast present--never was--just water, sugar, and flavor, with CO2 forced into it.

If you would like to experiment with wine making, I'll be happy to send you a few packs of good wine yeast. I will send you three types with notes. You need not send me your address if you choose not too, just send me a PM and I can send it to the post office(poste restante) and you can pick it up there. It's not a big deal, I'm still here in the States and you seem to be having such a good time :D
I always enjoy carrying on traditional folk culture and try to assist others in doing so any way that I can. BTW, if the weather gets too hot it won't be a good time to send it. It'll only cost me about $3, so no need for repayment. If you're not interested, no biggie.

This offer isn't for everyone :lol: I just offer it to MG because he's already shown a strong interest and effort in the hobby.

Mudguard
udonmap.com

Post by Mudguard » November 29, 2014, 2:46 pm

Hi, Bigrick...Been off air for a while...I thank you very much for your offer...But, due to customs here, I have to decline your great offer. Actually, one cannot make wine in Thailand as in US n AUS....

Yes, their laws here leave a lot to be desired.. Cheers,....Mudguard..

wallylee
udonmap.com

Post by wallylee » February 3, 2015, 2:15 pm

Hi, finally found my mothers copy of CWA (Country Womans Association) which have original Ginger beer recipe.

Ginger beer (no.1) 1 lb. sugar
! gallon cold water 1/2 (half) teaspoon tartaric acid
1 teaspoon cream tartar 2 tablespoon yeast
1 teaspoon ground ginger

Mix all together in a pan, allow to stand for 6 hours.
Bottle and cork.

Ginger beer (no 2) 2 lemons
4 lb sugar 4 oz. bruized ginger
2 oz .cream of tartar 1 kerosene tin water ( I think that is either 4 litres or 20 litres)
1 cup of yeast

Boil the tin of water, and put in the sugar, lemons, cream of tartar and ginger.
When warm stir in the yeast, and stand for 24 hours.
Strain and bottle.

When growing up in Oz we had the number 1 recipe, for about 3 months of the year.

Cheers :D

wallylee
udonmap.com

Post by wallylee » February 3, 2015, 2:28 pm

Ginger lemonade..

half cup good vinegar , 1 cup water
2 teaspoons ground ginger , iced water

Place the vinegar, sugar, and water in a quart jug, and fill up with the iced water.

If your recipe calls for tartaric acid and you don't have it, using cream of tartar might work. For every teaspoon of tartaric acid, replace with two teaspoons of cream of tartar. However, using tartaric acid will produce better results.

Mudguard
udonmap.com

Post by Mudguard » March 21, 2015, 6:38 am

Thanks very much Wallylee...I will try these n let u know...Cheers...Mudguard. :D

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”