Grass Roots Footie (everything exept EPL) 2014/15

General sports news and discussions.
socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » September 13, 2014, 1:00 pm

A walk in the Park for Glasgow Rangers away to third placed Raith Rovers last night in pissing rain.

Raith 0 Rangers 4

Now level on points at the top with Heart of Midlothian who have a game in hand.

Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » September 13, 2014, 1:44 pm

And now the downside at Ibrox - a shambles and despicable.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29153590
Alba gu bràth

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » September 13, 2014, 1:56 pm

2 matches of potential historic interest today.
In the final weekend before the referendum Berwick Rangers travel to Annan Athletic. Will Berwick, the most northern town in Engalnd, be able to continue to compete in the Scottish league if Scotland gain independence?

Meanwhile in the 1st qualifying round of the FA Cup FC Romania, a team and club made up entirely of Romanians yet registered in the English FA, take on AFC Sudbury

croc
udonmap.com

Post by croc » September 14, 2014, 6:54 am

I do believe as I read the bbc page scunnie went down again............DM is this another pint on offer?

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » September 14, 2014, 8:56 am

Barnet remain at the top of the Conference despite being held 2-2 at bottom club Telford.
Woking beat Chester 1-0 to go 2nd after Halifax went down 2-0 at Forest Green Rovers.Gateshead beat Dartford 1-0 to stay 4th and Torquay had an impressive 2-0 win at Grimsby to remain in 5th spot.
Macclesfield are up to 6th after winning 1-0 at Dover and Alfreton are off the bottom after gaining their first win of the season,2-0 at Southport.

In League 2 Cheltenhams excellent start to the season hit the buffers as they went down 1-0 at Luton.

In the Championship todays big match is the East Midlands derby between table topping Nottingham Forest and Derby.
Norwich had an excellent 4-2 win at Cardiff to go 2nd and the pressure increases on Fulham boss,Felix Magath,after they were humbled 3-0 at Reading and stay bottom with just 1 point from 6 matches.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 14, 2014, 11:20 am

croc wrote:I do believe as I read the bbc page scunnie went down again............DM is this another pint on offer?
Yes Croc ,,,,tizz a fact ,,,Scunny are going down more often than a day n night "hostess" but it is low season !! .. i did predict a slow start for the Iron and dont mind giving a few pints early on the reaping my reward mid to latter season HOPEFULLY i recall Scunnies 28 match unbeaten run last year fingers crossed for the same this campaign.

I will be popping in our favourite watering hole later today so no doubt you can enjoy a pint of that excellent Magners draught cider FOC !!! ......hope you dont choke on it :^o gulping so vigorously whilst smiling constantly.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 14, 2014, 11:32 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
croc wrote:I do believe as I read the bbc page scunnie went down again............DM is this another pint on offer?
Yes Croc ,,,,tizz a fact ,,,Scunny are going down more often than a day n night "hostess" but it is low season !! .. i did predict a slow start for the Iron and dont mind giving a few pints early on the reaping my reward mid to latter season HOPEFULLY i recall Scunnies 28 match unbeaten run last year fingers crossed for the same this campaign.

I will be popping in our favourite watering hole later today so no doubt you can enjoy a pint of that excellent Magners draught cider FOC !!! ......hope you dont choke on it :^o gulping so vigorously whilst smiling constantly.

DM
Missed you today croc ... was told you were in shock having just secured another free Magners pint , never mind i drank it for you on the way to the mosque :shock:

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » September 17, 2014, 8:37 am

Barnet remain top of the Conference despite losing 1-0 at home to Wrexham.Woking lose 2nd spot to Torquay where they were beaten 1-0 by a 35 yard free kick in injury time.....Torquay now 5 wins on the bounce.
Macclesfield and Gateshead drew 1-1 and Telford are now 4 points adrift at the bottom after losing 3-2 at Alfreton.

In League 2,Cheltenham lost again 1-0 at home to Southend.Burton stay top despite losing 3-0 at Wimbledon.

In the Championship Norwich go top after a 3-0 win at Brentford but maybe only temporarily as Nottingham Forest are at home to Fulham tonight.Cardiff lost 1-0 at home to Middlesbrough with manager,Ole Gunnar Solksjaer,being booed.....trouble ahead ?

Bristol City remain clear at the top of League 1 after a comfortable 3-0 away win at struggling Port Vale and Scunthorpe United recorded their second league win of the season by beating Coventry 2-1......but maybe more on that later ?? ........surely !! ;)

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » September 17, 2014, 8:53 am

Not to mention Glasgow Rangers of the Championship, beating Inverness Caley Thistle (2nd in the Premiership) 1-0 at home last night in the League Cup. =D>
Alba gu bràth

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 17, 2014, 10:36 am

Zidane wrote:Barnet remain top of the Conference despite losing 1-0 at home to Wrexham.Woking lose 2nd spot to Torquay where they were beaten 1-0 by a 35 yard free kick in injury time.....Torquay now 5 wins on the bounce.
Macclesfield and Gateshead drew 1-1 and Telford are now 4 points adrift at the bottom after losing 3-2 at Alfreton.

In League 2,Cheltenham lost again 1-0 at home to Southend.Burton stay top despite losing 3-0 at Wimbledon.

In the Championship Norwich go top after a 3-0 win at Brentford but maybe only temporarily as Nottingham Forest are at home to Fulham tonight.Cardiff lost 1-0 at home to Middlesbrough with manager,Ole Gunnar Solksjaer,being booed.....trouble ahead ?

Bristol City remain clear at the top of League 1 after a comfortable 3-0 away win at struggling Port Vale and Scunthorpe United recorded their second league win of the season by beating Coventry 2-1......but maybe more on that later ?? ........surely !! ;)

100% surely , goals from Madden and Taylor gave the Iron all the points and an excellent display by all accounts , gets me back on course with croc in our weekly magners fantasy wager :D :D hope he remembers to check the scores !!

thaiguzzi
udonmap.com

Post by thaiguzzi » September 17, 2014, 12:03 pm

Top of the league !! We are City. Norwich City !

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 20, 2014, 8:46 am

Scunthorpe v Leyton Orient
Important (already) relegation battle here today. :D The visitors are only goal difference about the hosts - in fairness that is +10 though!!
Cheltenham v Dag & Red
Town have slipped alarmingly from their fast start. From table toppers to not even in a play off place in just a couple of games.. If they do not get all 3 points out of this one today then I will start to be concerned about the other end of the table to the top!!

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » September 20, 2014, 10:54 am

The manager of Leyton Orient,Russell Slade,is in danger of the sack from the clubs new Italian owner after their poor start to the season.
Last season Slade took unfancied Orient to the play off final at Wembley where they lost on penalties to Rotherham.

So much for sentiment in football......where do they dredge these awful owners up from ! [-(

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » September 21, 2014, 6:39 am

Hardly Grass Roots but not EPL so posted here.

What a strike force Real have but they should be due to the prices paid by them for Bale, Ronaldo and Rodriguez. Am I the only one who thinks loanee Hernandez was never give a proper chance at Man Utd under three different managers? A bit part player drafted in when others were injured or in lesser cup competitions or as a sub.

Deportivo de La Coruña 2
Medunjanin 51′ (pen) Verdú Nicolás 84′

Real Madrid 8
Ronaldo 29′, 41′, 78′ Rodríguez 36′ Bale 66′, 74′ Hernández 88′, 90′
Alba gu bràth

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » September 21, 2014, 8:09 am

Hernandez did very well in his first season at United but failed to live up to expectations after that.Difficult for him to get a regular starting spot with the likes of Rooney,Van Persie and Welbeck also strikers,at the time.
He got a couple for Real last night but was only a sub,coming on after 77 minutes.

But,in a different footballing world,Barnet stay top of the Conference after thrashing struggling Altrincham 5-0.
Torquay still second after beating Dover 2-0.Three first half goals,including two from Scunthorpe loanee Luke Waterfall,saw Macclesfield go up to 6th after beating Southport 3-0.
Bristol Rovers beat Woking 2-0 and seem to be coming to terms with life in the Conference,going up to 7th with the same number of points as Macc.

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » September 21, 2014, 8:38 am

Reading: Thai consortium takes over Championship club

BBC news site
Alba gu bràth

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 21, 2014, 9:32 am

Scunthorpe 1-2 Leyton Orient
Cheltenham 1-1 Dag & Red
When you are behind after just 3 minutes then it is always a struggle. They then got themselves back into the game but fell for that all too often occurring sucker punch within another 2 minutes. The Iron sink to 22nd. but are not yet isolated from those above them.

A last gasp equaliser by young substitute Joe Hanks saved the point for Town. It was enough to push them back into a playoff place. Not really good enough against a side that have really struggled so far this season, but at least stops the rot..

valiant
udonmap.com

Post by valiant » September 21, 2014, 9:07 pm

Good win for us yesterday after 6 consecutive defeats
:D

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » September 21, 2014, 9:42 pm

valiant wrote:Good win for us yesterday after 6 consecutive defeats
:D
valiant is referring to Port Vale readers.....
Thank God for them and Macc Town,eh ! ;)

valiant
udonmap.com

Post by valiant » September 21, 2014, 10:32 pm

Thank you Zidane Scunthorpe at home next month

Return to “World Sports”