Best store for ENGLISH Windows/Office install?

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
fredwilliams
udonmap.com

Post by fredwilliams » July 31, 2014, 7:42 pm

I have nothing of any value or importance saved to my hard drive.

I need English versions of Windows and Office (I currently have Thai Win7 and Off2007 and want rid).

Where's the best place for me to go to get these installed, please?

Preferably legit versions that won't cause problems further down the line.

Thank you kindly. :D

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 31, 2014, 10:00 pm

I am told that Hardware House do.
Although I am pretty sure that any of the other large suppliers in the Complex (& elsewhere around town) would do for you if you insist that is what you want.
The vital thing is that you go away with the product codes as that is what makes it legal.

It cannot be bought direct from Microsoft anymore as they are now pushing Windows 8.1.

It does rather make me ask the question why you are willing to pay someone a fairly large sum of money for a product that even the manufacturer thinks is out of date..

There are legally free alternatives available & more coming ever day as far as an Operating System is concerned.
There are also free & pay for alternatives readily available for Microsoft Office. unless you are heavily into database manipulation & there are alternatives to Microsoft Access even there...

EDIT
Oh Sorry...
There is no difference in the programs dependent on Language, That is just a setting decision to be made when loading the software, Thai is one of the language packs that you actually (officially) have to pay extra for in order to install the language pack on both 7 & on Office.
So any Thai company can load English for you...

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » July 31, 2014, 10:07 pm

BobHelm wrote: It cannot be bought direct from Microsoft anymore as they are now pushing Windows 8.1.
Oh for 5 minutes in a darkened room with a big stick and the creator of this monstrosity.
Completely taken away the fun in laptop world.
The simplest things have become a time consuming nightmare.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 31, 2014, 10:13 pm

I believe that you can load the latest version of Ubuntu on a Windows 8+ machine fairly easily Macca.
You can the 'dual boot' into either Windows or Ubuntu, although I guess Windows might get a miss... :D
It is hard work to load anything else because of the blocks that Microsoft have put on the equipment.

It would be worth a try for you as it is free....not quite Windows 7 but so near after a week you would have forgotten the differences... :D

Some light reading for you... :D
Install Ubuntu 14.04 alongside Windows 8.1 in 10 easy steps
http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2014/0 ... ndows.html

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » July 31, 2014, 11:26 pm

Bob, I've tried to help a couple of people convert from Windows to Linux, but they regressed back to Windows quickly. It looks like people just don't want to waste that week or two being confused by the different layout. I recently found a version of Ubuntu that, with one mouse click, will look and feel like Windows XP or Windows 7. At least the look and feel of the desktop would be very close to the Windows versions but the applications themselves would still be a bit of a learning curve. It is called Zorin OS and is available for free download, or if you don't want to learn how to burn an .iso and install it, you can order a DVD (I think 6 GBP) and just use that.

"Zorin OS is a multi-functional operating system designed specifically for Windows users who want to have easy and smooth access to Linux."
http://zorin-os.com/index.html

Youtube video demonstrating Zorin OS...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkuuX9dYfz0

Remember, with Linux there is no more need to buy anti-virus, anti-spyware, disk defragmentors/cleaners. Also, there are thousands of free applications that download and install with one click.

Disclaimer: I haven't actually used this Linux distro yet :)

fredwilliams
udonmap.com

Post by fredwilliams » August 1, 2014, 5:42 pm

Thanks for your kind advice good people.

BobHelm: where is Hardware House and how much am I looking at shelling out for legitware please?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 1, 2014, 8:01 pm

In the Complex in the centre of town.
As for price. I am sorry I have no idea - but certainly not cheap by any stretch of the imagination.

You need to think long & hard as to if it is worth spending money on buying obsolete software rather than bite the bullet & look elsewhere than the Microsoft gravy train.... :shock:

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 1, 2014, 8:12 pm

BobHelm wrote:In the Complex in the centre of town.
As for price. I am sorry I have no idea - but certainly not cheap by any stretch of the imagination.

You need to think long & hard as to if it is worth spending money on buying obsolete software rather than bite the bullet & look elsewhere than the Microsoft gravy train.... :shock:

I bought my copy of Windows 7 pro in Hardware House several years ago....Can't remember exactly how much it was...but in the range of 5000. I've had zero issues with it.....probably in the range of 500 updates all with no problem. At that time, there was at least one salesman in the place who could explain all the various hardware/software available for sale.....in understandable English.
If you choose to have them install it for you, I suggest you tell them to install NO additional programs. Nothing....nada. I downloaded openoffice (free), microsoft essentials (free). I've had no problems with Windows 7.......much nicer to me than XP....and with a legit copy, much smoother operation with auto downloads.

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » August 17, 2014, 1:59 pm

This sounds like a solution for the dodgy Thai windows 7 pro on the kids new laptop. I told the wife over and over again to not go buy a computer for them without me, not that I know much about anything. I think most of us are well aware that farangs don't know anything, so we now have a new laptop with tons of dodgy Thai crap, I got rid of a bunch), and a download manager that won't allow downloads because the signature is phony. It will work, but.......? I did manage to get the latest windows update, but can't download programs, anti-virus, that it needs. I've told the wife to take it back and demand the shop fix it or install a real windows 7 pro version, that will happen about as quick as her calling the tv people to fix the sound abruptly changing on the new tv, never. And no, I haven't said "I told you so", yet. I value my private parts...lol. Allegedly the laptop for the kids school work. Only thing I see them do is games, utube, Thai gossip site and yea I found one of those Thai chat rooms being used, it's since been removed. The facebook ap is also gone, gone, gone. There is NO "social media" allowed in this house or on any computer owned by this family, period!

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”