Hey mister can I have mi ball back 2013/14 season

General sports news and discussions.
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 14, 2014, 6:44 am

Well the "knock me down with a feather" result of Exeter against Town was.....1 all..
A draw really does seem the dominant result in League 2 though. Cheltenham have drawn 14 out of their 42 games - a third. However the are put to shame by table toppers Scunthorpe who have drawn 19 of theirs. The difference being that Scunny have only been defeated 4 times all season...

That is really 2 points that Exeter can ill afford to drop as the bottom of the table looks like this - with 4 to go..
table.jpg
table.jpg (41.99 KiB) Viewed 829 times
Torquay are, sadly, just about doomed to non league football next year, despite a spirited away win at Bristol Rovers at the weekend. Who will join them is still very much up for grabs though.
4 nervous remaining games for fans at the moment..

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 15, 2014, 7:14 am

Easter weekend so a Friday & Monday dose of football as half of the remaining games will be fought.

On Friday at 3pm..
Cheltenham v Fleetwood
Morecambe v Scunthorpe
Cheltenham could do all 3 sides in the promotions spots a favour by getting something from their game with 4th, placed Fleetwood. While Scunthorpe take their unbeaten run to the seaside of Morecambe, who have had a pretty ordinary campaign in the division this season.

On Monday at 3pm.
Mansfield v Cheltenham
Scunthorpe v Oxford Utd
Mansfield are in 10th. place & probably have too much to do in order to get to a play off place.
Oxford are in the final play off place & will be scrapping to remain there. With a away game against strugglers Exeter & final tricky home game against play off wantabees York Scunthorpe's remaining fixtures..

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 15, 2014, 9:10 am

One game worthy of a mention in League 2 on Good Friday is Wycombe (22nd,points 46) versus Northampton (23rd points 46)......a real 6 pointer with the losers standing every chance of accompanying Torquay into the Conference.
Always good crowds in the lower leagues over Easter with most matches on Good Friday and Easter Monday,whereas the Premiership teams only have one game each.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 15, 2014, 11:30 am

BobHelm wrote:Easter weekend so a Friday & Monday dose of football as half of the remaining games will be fought.

On Friday at 3pm..
Cheltenham v Fleetwood
Morecambe v Scunthorpe
Cheltenham could do all 3 sides in the promotions spots a favour by getting something from their game with 4th, placed Fleetwood. While Scunthorpe take their unbeaten run to the seaside of Morecambe, who have had a pretty ordinary campaign in the division this season.

On Monday at 3pm.
Mansfield v Cheltenham
Scunthorpe v Oxford Utd
Mansfield are in 10th. place & probably have too much to do in order to get to a play off place.
Oxford are in the final play off place & will be scrapping to remain there. With a away game against strugglers Exeter & final tricky home game against play off wantabees York Scunthorpe's remaining fixtures..
MAX Points for Scunny from the Moracambe and Exeter fixtures should be enough , still 2 tricky games for the Iron against Oxford and notably York who are on a great run of form ,,, fingers crossed Scunny can keep their unbeaten run going to the seasons end .... means little or nothing to 99.99999% of the worlds population , unless of course you are claret n blue all way thru !!

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 15, 2014, 12:47 pm

means little or nothing to 99.99999% of the worlds population , unless of course you are claret n blue all way thru !!

And 99.99998% of those will be West Ham, Burnley or Villa fans :lol:

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » April 15, 2014, 1:01 pm

stattointhailand wrote:means little or nothing to 99.99999% of the worlds population , unless of course you are claret n blue all way thru !!

And 99.99998% of those will be West Ham, Burnley or Villa fans :lol:
Oh ! Statts, Don't get HIM Going Again... :lol: :lol:

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 15, 2014, 1:19 pm

It's OK 747, he won't be able to work out that 00.00001% of the worlds population is more people than have EVER been to Scunny (let alone hung around long enough to see their footie team play) :lol:

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 15, 2014, 2:14 pm

stattointhailand wrote:It's OK 747, he won't be able to work out that 00.00001% of the worlds population is more people than have EVER been to Scunny (let alone hung around long enough to see their footie team play) :lol:
Hey up a minute =; ... Statts n 474 i will have you know ive got a degree in mathematics well more accurately a B.A.in Bingonomics :shock: from the Scunthorpe University of life ,,,, so what if i accidentally got my decimal point in the wrong place .

BTW i think you are both way off the mark and WORLDWIDE there are thousands upon thousands on Scunthorpe Utd Fans , granted not quite as many as the big guns like Liverpool =D> and Sunderland =D> but give the Iron a couple more years and things will even up .

DM

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 15, 2014, 2:30 pm

Have to agree DM, every footie team has 'is day .....

Even the "milkmen" ?

'Udders field were in the top flight a few decades ago ..... as were the now struggling Norfamton & Pompy

And Both Swansea & Burnley were in danger of dropping out of the league

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 16, 2014, 3:40 pm

stattointhailand wrote:Have to agree DM, every footie team has 'is day .....
Even the "milkmen" ?
Macc Town were actually in the Football League for 15 years,including one season in League 1 where they played the likes of Manchester City,Stoke and Fulham,but the average gates in the league were only around 2,000.
They are certainly struggling now financially.....a bit like a farang trying to survive in Thailand on 10,000 baht a month :( .......other recently relegated league teams in the same boat,like Hereford and Aldershot.
But no such worries for Luton Town who were crowned champions of the Conference last night and will return to the Football League after an absence of 5 years.They achieved it without kicking a ball as Kidderminster beat second placed Cambridge 2-0 last night.
Lutons average gate this season,so far,of 7,266 is bettered by only two League 2 clubs and would put them 10th on the list of League 1 attendances.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 16, 2014, 5:26 pm

Well done to Luton town on getting back into the football league proper ..

Many teams in the past within a relatively short space of time have gone from the old Division 4 to the then First division now the EPL and some the other way ,,, the hope this metioric rise can happen to your favourite club keeps crazy folks following the likes of Scunthorpe Utd and regardless of the success or failures ups n downs loyal fans stick with them as they are the club they were brought up with ... suffice to say for me Scunny rate higher than any other on the planet , and even stranger im sure there are the odd lost souls who feel the same about the likes of Macclesfield and Darlington... that is perverse !!!

Everything is crossed for the Iron to get promoted this season , keep the manager and squad then build on it with a couple of seasons in League 1 then back in the Championship a couple more seasons there and then its the EPL and Champions league footy for Scunny ........ wake me up am i dreaming .... or post Songkhran product testing ??

The question .... is it better to be at the top of league 1 or 2 playing well getting good crowds and pushing for promotion or being in the Championship getting whipped every week and the fans loosing interest which is always the case as no one wants to follow a loosing team unless you are follow Grimesby town and loosing is part of life there!!

Up the Iron

DM

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 17, 2014, 9:18 am

Always a difficult one....wether or not to be a successful big fish in a small pond or an unsuccessful small fish in a big pond.....a lot of it has to do with fans expectations,I guess.
But I fear Scunthorpes success will be short lived........Arsenal will prise away Russ Wilcox after a 58,000 word letter of recommendation for Wilcox sent by mathusalah80 to Arsenals owner Stan Kroenke.
After taking nearly 3 weeks to read mat80's letter,Kroenke is later found hanged in mysterious circumstances and the police are called in to investigate.
In the meantime,Wenger takes over at Scunthorpe and the team receives great accolades for their attractive passing style of play despite being knocked out in the FA Cup first round for 10 consecutive seasons !
Things come to a head when they are beaten 8-3 in an entertaining game by the Barrow In Furness Womens Institute and Wenger is sacked by Scunthorpes new owner,Dave Lee Travis.
Popular ex manager,Alan Knill,is re-appointed to bring stability and he helps Scunthorpe finally find their level...........................................................................................in the Conference North ! :-$

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » April 17, 2014, 10:15 am

You trying very hard to get piemash going Andy .....

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 19, 2014, 7:27 am

Cheltenham 1-2 Fleetwood
Morecambe 1-1 Scunthorpe
Well Town shunned another chance to help Scunthorpe out of the league 7 themselves up the table with the home defeat to 4th. placed Fleetwood.
Scunny just about kept that undefeated run going with a draw away at lowly Morecombe.
However it was enough to keep them top as Chesterfield could only manage a home draw with Exeter while Rochedale suffered a 3 nil home thrashing by 5th. place Southend.
Scunthorpe are slowly creeping towards league 1, but it is slow progress after a real run at it!!

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 19, 2014, 9:44 pm

Been too busy with work to post ...........but ...... pleased to remain toppa the league and edging towards promotion . :D

I did have a call from a mate who went to the game in Morecambe ,,, he commented that it was one of the very few places on Earth that appeared worse than Scunny !!! =; , i told him to drink black coffee as he obviously was bladdered :shock:

DM

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 23, 2014, 9:27 am

In League 2 Scunthorpe United beat Oxford United 1-0 and need only 2 points from their final 2 games to clinch automatic promotion,although 1 point should be enough as they have a vastly superior goal difference to 4th placed Fleetwood.
At the bottom,Torquay won 2-1 at Exeter but still look certain for relegation.Northampton,Bristol Rovers and Wycombe all lost and are locked on 47 points with 2 games to play.
In the Conference the final relegation place is between Hereford and Chester with 1 game left.
Wolves and Brentford have already clinched promotion from League 1 to the Championship.
Congratulations to Leicester who won the Championship title after beating Bolton 1-0 at the Reebok and congratulations,also,to Burnley who gained automatic promotion with a 2-0 win over Wigan.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 24, 2014, 4:27 pm

Numerous emails from footy mates back in Scunny as the anticipation of promotion grows this weekend .. an away day to Exeter followed by a sell out crowd for the last (home) game against York on the 3rd of May ,,,1 point from either game should be enough tho York will prove a stern test to the Irons 28 game unbeaten streak as they are on a great run also. Im hoping we can keep the run going and go up as champions but any where in the top 3 will do for me .

Everything is crossed fingers , toes even my ears :shock: , been to the temple to pray for the claret n Blue machine ... alas sods law im away Friday n Saturday in Bangkok and cant even watch it on my computer.

Up the Iron ..

DM

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 26, 2014, 2:00 pm

Exeter v Scunthorpe
Rochdale v Cheltenham
Exeter need something at home to Scunthorpe as they are flirting with the remaining drop spot.
Town are away to 3rd. placed Rochdale & I can't see them given the hosts a great deal to worry about.
The team currently stopping Scunthorpe from celebrating promotion, Fleetwood, are at home to fellow play off contenders Southend.

It is still all in Scunthorpe's own hands though. Anything better than losing their unbeaten streak & they are up...

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 26, 2014, 7:05 pm

Looking forward to the Scunthorpe United automatic promotion parade and party at Nong Sim later...... 8)

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 26, 2014, 7:17 pm

Zidane wrote:Looking forward to the Scunthorpe United automatic promotion parade and party at Nong Sim later...... 8)
Indeed Zid ... i even revided my Bkk trip timetable to get back home to watch the game today !!

If ...when ....all goes to plan i can feel an intense period of product testing coming on !!!

Up the Iron

DM

Return to “World Sports”