5 theaters and NO Captain America Showings in English!

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 23, 2014, 7:44 pm

I don't do movies, but a Thai friend of ours who does says most new movies are shown in English. He pointed me to
http://www.majorcineplex.com/en/search- ... eId_6=1215
and sure enough.....Transcendence is at 16:00 and 21:00 and Captain Crunch is at 20:20.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » April 24, 2014, 12:03 am

Khun Paul wrote:it seems sad that so many view the lack of movies in English a problem and as for a fictional character not being played with English being spoken even worse than sad.
Personally I'll wait until it is out on DVD or on the Satellite, rather than fight my way into a cinema in town with the parking and the traffic and then have to sit through many people talking in a language I neither know , nor understand as they explain to those who do not understand the spoken english in the film.
Seems like this might be similar to going to the cinema in England with all the traffic and immigrants there.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » April 24, 2014, 8:14 am

I regularly check the Major Cineplex link and find that English language showings are few and far between... As noted by Parrot they have them this week but only the late showing... With the amount of English speaking folks in the community it always has baffled me why they don't have more English language showings.. I also have noted in attending first showings of top Americana movies in English that a lot of middle class Lao who understand English also come down to watch them... As for the Landmark SF Cinema, I don't recall ever seeing any English language movies listed..
Dave

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » April 24, 2014, 3:26 pm

And what is the fluent English speaking population of Udon. Probably less than 1%. Who is going to pay for all the empty seats after the first showing. Think people think.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » April 25, 2014, 9:08 am

then market to the English speakers.. With the Expat population predominantly not working, perhaps a matinee showing around 1400 for movies in English would work.. I don't honestly know if the theater manager has ever approached it this way...
Dave

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » April 25, 2014, 9:10 am

yes, less than 1% of 1.5 million = at least 8-10,000... Even if they only had 5% of that or 400 attendees through marketing and special "matinee" pricing it would put more in the Theater than I've seen at a Thai language movie..
Dave

Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » April 25, 2014, 6:54 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:I regularly check the Major Cineplex link and find that English language showings are few and far between... As noted by Parrot they have them this week but only the late showing...
I also check it regulary, and there are normally only 1-3 movies in English each month, while there are 2-3 premieres each week. I also like to have the movies early so can go watch a movie and then shopping before going home.

Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » April 25, 2014, 6:57 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:And what is the fluent English speaking population of Udon. Probably less than 1%. Who is going to pay for all the empty seats after the first showing. Think people think.
There are subtitles in Thai when there are English speaking movies, so they don`t have to understand it all. Think people think... ;)

Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » April 30, 2014, 12:53 pm

3 movies in English today, including Spider-Man 2, another American hero. :D

http://www.majorcineplex.com/en/search- ... emaId_1=19

pimples
udonmap.com

Post by pimples » April 30, 2014, 6:12 pm

i am sure the loud volume in there has damaged my hearing

Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » May 1, 2014, 7:19 am

Yesterday Major had 3 movies in English. Today it`s 27 showings of one movie only, Spider-Man, and in Thai only.
SF is showing Spider-Man 20 times today, also Thai only. Nevada has 5 showings of the movie, so that means a total of 52 showings of Spider-Man in Udon today and all in Thai.

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » May 1, 2014, 7:36 am

Any idea how many went to see the English language movies yesterday? Today is also a holiday.
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » May 1, 2014, 7:51 am

merchant seaman wrote:Any idea how many went to see the English language movies yesterday? Today is also a holiday.
I went to see Brick Mansions yesterday at 4.10PM. It was maybe 8-10 people watching the movie.
I think the schedule will be back to "normal" again tomorrow, with a few showings in English of Spider-Man, like yesterday.

Svein66
udonmap.com

X-Men: Days Of Future Past Showings in English!

Post by Svein66 » May 22, 2014, 6:53 am

The new X-Men movie is being shown in English at Major a few times daily for those who are interested. :D

http://www.majorcineplex.com/en/search- ... emaId_1=19

Return to “Open Forum”