confirmed Google scans all emails

World news discussion forum
pimples
udonmap.com

Post by pimples » April 16, 2014, 2:52 am

http://news.sky.com/story/1243033/googl ... re-scanned

Google has updated its terms of service to make clear it automatically scans all users' emails to create targeted ads.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » April 16, 2014, 3:32 am

I will only become concerned when I open an email (I have a gmail account) from someone on my contacts list and it has an add splashed over the top of it. (Don't think about it Jack!)

Until then, and IMHO, it's just another case of "big brother" scrutinizing me. Must be at least 6 'security' agencies, world wide, with their noses in my business so what's one more? :-$

I do have one measure in place to aide privacy:-
My Daughters, Sister and I have a code system in place if we are exchanging sensitive data on family matters.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 16, 2014, 12:40 pm

Should not come as a surprise to anyone that uses it.
The fact that the mail system will tell you that a received mail is important because of the content in it is a bit of a give away really.
Seeing how I have little intention of saying that I am going to commit an illegal act or engage in terrorism in a gmail message the fact that they scan mails is of little concern to me...
There is never a free lunch & as any 'adverts' created automatically go into an unread "Promotions" inbox it impacts me not one bit..
I might be highly pissed off with them if I was actually paying for the service though... :D

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 16, 2014, 1:51 pm

Given a choice of old style outlook express or gmail....where I didn't have to sign my life away then and where I do now, I'll take gmail any day of the week. Fact is, most anything you sign up for....a subscription to NYT, Economist, a smartphone app, or an adobe download, etc......you have the choice to accept/decline. I doubt there's many of us who understand the ramifications of 'accepting' to the terms of these sites.
As a long time subscriber to NYT, the site knows what I'm interested in (from past viewing) and those articles are prominent on their front page (when I'm signed in). I like that.
I signed up for snoreclock (recommended by sfg) and recorded last night's sleep. It's a tad eerie to wake up with your smartphone showing your sleep patterns....all recorded for your listening pleasure (I can better understand that middle-of-the-night elbow in the gut reminding me to roll over). The android app is free.....but of course, you accept the app's conditions. I would not be shocked to learn that the owner of the app is studying the sleep patterns of all the app's users for some sort of financial gain. I can live with that. Much better than going to a sleep clinic!
Someday someone will come up with a lemon juice font that secretly inserts text inside an email......visible only to those recipients who hold an iron over the monitor. I wouldn't be surprised if there's an app for that already!

pimples
udonmap.com

Post by pimples » April 16, 2014, 4:17 pm

trouble with google is that its data mining on a huge scale ,i have stopped using chrome as thats just another part of their global plan .yahoo mail may be unscanned as yet ,and hey how about ms mail too .

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 16, 2014, 4:40 pm

Horses for courses.. :D
Yahoo mail is about the biggest load of garbage of any of the free mail suppliers. I hardly use it - just if I have to register with a site before I can take part. Then I get loads of spam & scam stuff.

I use hotmail (outlook) for friends & family only.

I use gmail for any serious inquiries & doing things like booking travel & hotels. i get virtually no spam mail at all.

As with gmail if Google want to monitor my internet forays on Chrome then they are welcome to. If they can make any sense out of it then good luck to them because I rarely can.. :D
The pluses outweigh the minuses by a long way. The other day i booked a hotel for when I am back in the UK in June. After I finished booking & paying Chrome asked me if I wanted to put it in my schedule. I did & so it did, one click of a button. So I can live with Google, NSA & GCHQ knowing that I am in Newport, Gwent on a certain day in June. Because they know anyway as I am their (by appointment) to renew my passport

If I want to search in ordinary space without monitoring then I can use DuckDuckGo.
If I don't want anyone to know what I am doing then I can use Tor.
If i don't want Thailand to know what I am doing then I can use VPN.
But most of the time I just don't care... :D

Return to “World News”