We Farang who criticise the Thai Judicial System!

World news discussion forum
Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » April 15, 2014, 2:24 pm

Check this out! A long term prisoner gets bail after a daring escape from an Australian prison. :-k

And we have the hide to criticise the Thai Judicial system!!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-15/j ... ey/5392336

Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » April 15, 2014, 4:32 pm

Can you expand BD, the person referred to in the story completed a 15 year sentence after escaping in 1999. If the warrant requesting extradition to qld is unsound at law, the magistrate would have been left with no other option but to defer the application to extradite until a later date.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » April 15, 2014, 4:45 pm

And if he's now a frail and harmless old goat some taxpayers wouldn't want to be paying for his upkeep anyhow. The photo though suggests there might be a bit of spark left in him yet and that he's still capable of a busy holiday in Pattaya.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » April 15, 2014, 4:50 pm

The guy has history. He is out on bail because the Magistrate decides some junior QLD court clerk didn't correctly dot some i's or cross some tees. ---- Gimme a break! The "accused" is obviously a career criminal with records in at least 2 states and convicted escapee. Lets see if he turns up on the 22nd April!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 15, 2014, 5:17 pm

The Brits still had the best system .............

Stick em on a boat and send them to the end of the world :lol:

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » April 15, 2014, 8:20 pm

Whoa Statts, You'll have ALL Their relations gunning for yer ............ :lol: :lol: :lol:

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 16, 2014, 4:59 am

Still a question on the Immigration card into Australia.

Do you have any criminal convictions ?

No, but my great grandfather did ??

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » April 16, 2014, 5:14 am

wazza wrote:Still a question on the Immigration card into Australia.

Do you have any criminal convictions ?

No, but my great grandfather did ??
No, didn't think it was still compulsory!

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » April 16, 2014, 7:01 am

Looks like comedy actor Steve Martin and I didn't know he was an armed 'blagger'
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » April 16, 2014, 8:50 am

Personally I don't criticize the judicial system here as to us. I hear all the time a Foreigner can not win in a Thai court. Well I did all the way to the Supreme Court. But, then again I prepared a case with evidence not he she said. That being said collecting on he judgement is no different then in the states, not easy.

What really surprised me was when the guy appealed the case he was required to put up land a collateral. The land has Chanotes on it. But, it's long ways out of town close to a village. Roads and electricity are in. so it does have a value.

Been up for sale through he Courts no bites yet. I have to say the attorney who has this case now leaves a lot to be desired. I don't know how it will all shake out. In the meantime the judgement gains 7% interest.

The difference I noted in the process my Attorney did not ask me one question though the process. Was that because he really didn't know what he was doing or is that the process. I don't know. Things went much faster then they would have in California.
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » April 16, 2014, 9:38 am

If Killick's cell is still free, Barry O"Farrell the recently resigned New South Wales premier, deserves to now be calling that space "home". I think it's more likely that every Aussie male in Thailand fancies lady boys than Barry couldn't recall receiving a $3,000 bottle of wine. What a big pork pie Barry.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-16/n ... ne/5393478
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 16, 2014, 9:44 am

Lol GT

i had a bottle of Grange for my 50th. I remembered.

on topic. Who is going to buy a plot of land with a financial caveat on it.

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » April 16, 2014, 10:02 am

My problem with the Thai courts is they seem to favor one political side and that is a big problem.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » April 16, 2014, 11:13 am

That currently seems to be the case. But, does that effect us?
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » April 17, 2014, 1:10 am

bumper wrote:That currently seems to be the case. But, does that effect us?
No it does not but I do feel for the poorer people as my wife and family are regular Issan people who work hard with little gain. If Suthep and those like him have their way life will not ever improve for the poor. This is not about Thaksin or Yingluk because they will go after whoever the rural majority vote for because they will never win an election. Another thing about the Thai courts that I don't like is the rich and powerful will never be treated the same as a poor person .

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » April 17, 2014, 9:35 am

I to feel for the poor fol of Thailand. But, even with all the mess that has been going for so many years, they seem the be doing better in the past decade. Money talks in American Courts as well, just in a different way. You have money you can hire a crack defense team. If you don't in Calf, you will get Public defender. They are quality lawyers. But, you might be just one of the 500 cases assigned to that lawyer. The prosecution can call on almost an unlimited investigation pool. The Public defender doesn't have that. You got money you can hire expert witnesses to dispute the prosecution case. You don't your not going to get that. Where does it level out 12 jurors defense only needs one to vote not guilty.

OJ Simpson walked away from a murder charge. He was then convicted of robbery in Vegas. Why where they different, he didn't have the dream team defending him on the robbery charge. Why he didn't have the money anymore.

In short you can;t discount the power of money anywhere.

In the current actions now matter which way the Court rules both parties have plenty of money.

Your right the poor guy stands to lose one way or another. The elite want to treat them like backwoods hicks ( by the way that group op of people have more common sense than any of the politicians ) Then you have the Phua Thai. who promised the moon and couldn't deliver. Once the rice left the farmers hand. greed stepped in. Driving the cost so high that it had to be sold at a loss.Some of the Farmers didn't get their money. But, you can bet everyone above the farmers level got their money one way or another.

The system could be so much better. Subsidizing farmers is not exclusive to Thailand and the middle men always get a bigger cut then the guy who did the work.

Me I'm trying to take the money out of the equation. So in mind it's simple that farmer has a vote and it should be counted. At least he has a chance of picking the least of the evils. No one in power really cares about the locals. But, they do care about that vote.

Sadly at this stage, this more then likely won't be decided by a vote, But, nothing is happening that will settle this, there will be another stage. In that stage maybe that farmer will get a vote. But, some will pay in blood.

Until such time as all the Political players understand they have to eat and farmers are given the respect they deserve.

It would appear that the Phua Thai believe, there will be another election. The mayor of Nong Bua is making the rounds here in first homes. He is getting ready. He is not offering money for votes. But we have seen improvements in our area since he has been in office. We have a new main road out front between Nong Sai and Nong Bua. Not finished yet, but, progress was made. Nong Bua now pays for the street lights in first homes. We have seen more help in this Mayors term then any other. To my knowledge he has never offered to pay for a vote.

He sent a team in to vaccinate the dogs for rabies, set up free health checks. He has given away free rice during holidays. People can die from this miserable heat. He gave away free cold water containers. He has done these things for years. Will he be accused of vote buying probably.

To me that's progress, doesn't matter what party he came form, he did serve the people who elected him. That is what is really needed.

No simple answers to this mess.

Return to “World News”