coming into UT via Laos - is this easy?

General Udon Thani topics only!
weasel
udonmap.com

Post by weasel » October 14, 2012, 1:15 pm

Would appreciate any opinions here. Coming in around every month from KL and changing flights at BK. With Air Asia et al at DM things even more disjointed. Ending up with nights in BK etc

I see that Air Asia flies in via Laos and was thinking to try that, maybe saving time? Anyone do this? I guess will need Laos Visa before I arrive in Laos?

Help appreciated!

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » October 14, 2012, 1:45 pm

Air Asia doesnt fly to Laos,it flies direct from Bangkok to Udon Thani (1 hour).
Air Asia do operate from Dom Mueang now as do Nok Air who also fly to Udon.
However Thai Airways still fly from Suvarnabhumi to Udon.

Fly from Bangkok to Udon.Get a bus,train or taxi to Nong Khai.Cross the Friendship Bridge and get a Visa on Arrival from Laos Immigration on the other side of the bridge.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » October 14, 2012, 3:04 pm

I believe the OP is talking about flying Air Asia from KL to Laos which there is a flight. I would think you would need the Laos visa before traveling but not sure. If you don't have a Thai Visa you would only get 15 days entering Thailand by land from Laos. Then if you were flying back from Laos you would need to get a visa for Laos at th boarder to catch your flight 1500baht or 35 USD.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 14, 2012, 3:27 pm

As the OP is flying from KL, he could get a direct flight to Vientiane, and then enter Thailand at Nong Khai - getting a 15 day entry permit at the time.

Sounds a lot simpler than KL - DM - UT - albeit with a shorter (15 vs 30 day) entry permit.

I can't advise re the visa requirements for Laos - ? 2 per trip). This may be a deal breaker

edit: I see MS has come up with essentially the same advice.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » October 14, 2012, 4:20 pm

I guess it all revolves around how long you want to stay in Udon / thailand, 15 day visa or 30 day visa, and also if there is a flight from Laos to Udon, because if there was then you could fly in to Udon and get the 30days, otherwise its 15days coming over the Mekong Friendship bridge.

Can you not try a different airline from KL, so you get in BKK at midday, which gives you the longer visa, and also time to catch an afternoon domestic flight to Udon, ands same way out again ? This would save the need for a Laos visa in and out..

weasel
udonmap.com

Post by weasel » October 14, 2012, 8:33 pm

Thanks all, Yes I am taking AA from KL to Vientenne, Think will try the 15 day Visa if can get on arrival, only in for a week or two at a time.

Regards and thanks again

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » October 14, 2012, 10:31 pm

You can get a visa on arrival at the airport in Vientenne, same one as at friendship bridge. However it is only good for a single entry, as you will need to get one from the airport, and a new one at friendship bridge when you return - so this will add about $70 to your costs. I do not think you can get any other visa that would be useful, but here is a link:

http://www.laos-guide-999.com/visa-on-arrival.html

weasel
udonmap.com

Post by weasel » October 17, 2012, 1:03 pm

Thank Rick, will do that

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 17, 2012, 1:12 pm

There is the possibility of a Transit Visa.
I do not know how much they cost (I did hear a rumour that they were free, but that was a 1 time rumour only :D ) & am unsure how it would work coming into Laos & wanting to go to Thailand, as you would not have an air ticket as proof of onward travel out of the country. They might accept something else as proof though.
You could certain use it as a way of exiting back to KL though as then you would have an air ticket as proof.
Transit Visa (Tr)

A Transit Visa for Laos is available for travellers transiting through Laos to a third country. Holders of this type of Laos visa can stay in Laos for up to 7 days. Work is prohibited and it is not extendable.

Travellers applying for a transit visa are required to show a proof of an onward journey (such as an air ticket and entry visa for the third country) within seven days.
http://www.laos-guide-999.com/laos-visa.html#tran

Lao-miner
udonmap.com

Post by Lao-miner » October 17, 2012, 1:56 pm

All excellent advice for you O.P only thing to consider though is the timing , airasia dont fly KL to VTE daily , pretty sure its only 3 or 4 times a week, also check the transit time at the airasia terminal in KL as there not a lot do do there .

weasel
udonmap.com

Post by weasel » October 22, 2012, 1:10 am

Will go for it in December and advise how it goes, cheers!

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”