medical or travel insurance?

General Udon Thani topics only!
mikefromp1
udonmap.com

Post by mikefromp1 » September 8, 2012, 1:17 pm

I am a 60 year old male, and I will be staying in udon for about 14 months on a non-imm visa. I am in reasonable health, but there is that chance that accidents could happen etc.
I've been wondering what I should do do get myself covered, travel insurance provides some medical cover, and of course medical insurance, (as it says on the box!!), can be expensive and a bit of a rip-off.
So the question is, what do my fellow long-stay British visitors do about it?

Mike

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » September 8, 2012, 2:04 pm

I have accident insurance through Bupa, not expensive and covers up to 100K per disability. I purchased the Accident Plus 4 plan for 1,414bt (28.40 GBP).

Accidents are considered one of the major causes of hospitalization in Thailand and the costs related to hospitalization can be astronomical. Bupa specially offers a personal accident insurance, Accident Plus Plan. Accident Plus is a worldwide personal accident insurance plan for individuals and families that offers coverage for the costs of treatment resulting from accidents including motorcycle accidents. Accident Plus covers the cost of inpatient treatment and its follow-up treatment including the treatment in ER within 24 hours after getting the accident. Accident Plus covers the medical expenses starting from 10,000 baht up to 100,000 baht per disability. There is no overall maximum limit of actual room & board, physician fee, surgeon fee or hospital general expenses (e.g. drugs, dressing, x-ray and laboratory). Besides, if the member joins before the age of 61 and is continuously insured, the renewal is guaranteed for life.
http://www.bupa.co.th/en/individuals/he ... 60&class=1

*No Bupa office in Udon. Once an agent contacted me, everything was handled via email. Received policy in the mail about 1 week, but coverage began when payment was received.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » September 8, 2012, 2:31 pm

just make sure you read and understand the fine print on whatever policy you take out.

a fellow Kiwi took out the top travel insurance policy with an Aussie Co, as he lived there...rode a motorbike in Phuket, crashed into a taxi, broken bones, punctured lungs etc etc, months in Thai hospital, couldnt pay the bill, family couldnt pay the huge bill, insurance never covered him riding a motorbike in foreign lands..He was recently medivaced out thanks to an anomius sponsor..( sorry for spelling )

another Kiwi woman who died in a hotel of supposed food poisioning / toxic chemical poisioning, insurance company would not paid out because cause of death was not ascertained...a come across alot of travellers who have an accident and have no insurance cover, or they have a bad accident, and the Airlines wont fly them out until they can travel properly, and this eats into their funds, and causes all sorts of problems..

insurance its a small price to pay for ease of mind..

so read the small print, ask the company what the policy actually covers you for..dont be shy to ask..

nabanga
udonmap.com

Post by nabanga » September 14, 2012, 9:55 am

I live across the border in laos and looked at medical/travel insurance in detail a few years ago. The best deal I could find was a travel insurance package from Southern Cross out of NZ, which is renewable annually. It covers most things, including motorbikes, diving etc. You don't have to be from NZ to join.
Last year I needed 4 days in intensive care in Udon, costing 70,000baht, and they paid out quickly and also helped with transport etc. Even with this claim, they still insured me a second time.
One year was about NZ$1700

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » September 16, 2012, 1:08 pm

I am 60, from UK and use long stay travel insurance - but policies for those over 60 are few and far between. Do a search on something like comparethemarket.com for travel insurance and you should find something. It is relatively cheap (I pay under £300 for 8 month stay) but medical cover is limited, minor problems not really covered and major problems would result in medivac back to UK. But if you are in good health should be sufficient and also some cover for flight delay/ emergency return to Uk/baggage etc. Not sure if you can get cover for more than 12 months though.

And, as said, read the policy documents IN FULL before accepting - can be many slight variations in wording which actually make a big difference in cover.

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » September 17, 2012, 3:01 pm

Talk to Peter over at AA Insurance Brokers - www.aainsure.net

If all you want is accident insurance then that is cheap - even for the over 60's !
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » September 17, 2012, 4:59 pm

I have accident insurance through my bank. Cheap and easy.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”