Baltimore Bridge collapse

World news discussion forum
Whistler
udonmap.com

Baltimore Bridge collapse

Post by Whistler » March 26, 2024, 3:34 pm

I Singapore registered ship hit a pylon of the bridge causing much of the 3km bridge to collapse. So far estimate of 20 deaths but only just happened and nobody is sure, at least 7 cars fell into river. The same thing happened in Tasmania years ago with a bridge collapsing into the Derwent rever

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Re: Baltimore Bridge collapse

Post by Doodoo » March 26, 2024, 3:41 pm

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 26, 2024, 3:49 pm

Frightening! Hard to imagine what it would have been like, as a motorist, having something like that suddenly collapsing from under you!
The 47-year-old bridge has now been closed to traffic
Now that's a quote!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 26, 2024, 6:57 pm

Baltimore? On the Mekhong?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 27, 2024, 11:01 am

It would appear following an Engineering report that they knew how unsafe that bridge was IF the supports were damaged. Sadly ZERO preventative measures were in place to ensure the pier bases were protected.seems it was an accident waiting to happen and it has, now the sloping shoulders and the finger pointing will now follow .

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » March 27, 2024, 1:16 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
March 27, 2024, 11:01 am
It would appear following an Engineering report that they knew how unsafe that bridge was IF the supports were damaged. Sadly ZERO preventative measures were in place to ensure the pier bases were protected.seems it was an accident waiting to happen and it has, now the sloping shoulders and the finger pointing will now follow .
Sadly, that's what happens when a corrupt President sends huge amounts of taxpayer money overseas to help other countries to fight endless useless wars at the expense of repairing our own crumbling infrastructure. It's all part of his demonic plan to destroy America!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 27, 2024, 1:39 pm

Which one, sfg:

- Carter
- Reagan
- Bush
- Clinton
- Bush
- Obama
- Trump
- Biden

Or all of them, perhaps?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 27, 2024, 2:59 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
March 27, 2024, 1:16 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
Sadly, that's what happens when a corrupt President sends huge amounts of taxpayer money overseas to help other countries to fight endless useless wars at the expense of repairing our own crumbling infrastructure. It's all part of his demonic plan to destroy America!
A container ship loses propulsion and steering while leaving port on a falling tide (current from astern) and allides with a bridge pier causing the bridge to collapse, and it's Biden's fault?

I hope you're voting for RFK.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 27, 2024, 3:30 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
March 27, 2024, 1:16 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
The GOP blocked infrastructure plans under Trump, Biden got a record 1.3 Trillion infrastructure bill through Congress, that flies in the face of your comments. What appears to be the case at this early stage is that

- The bridge built in 1977 was not designed to withstand the loss of even a single pylon, as a result many parts of the bridge fell like a deck of cards despite being a considerable distance from the point of impact.

- The ship lost power and the ability to steer and was dragged by the tide before slamming into the bridge.

As for useless wars, history is unequivocal that the major wars in the past 30 years were all started during Republican Presidents, namly Bush Jnr and Senior.

Biden is a well documented and devout Christian. Who apart from QANON believes the ridiculous claims about demonic plans?
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 27, 2024, 3:36 pm

tamada wrote:
March 27, 2024, 2:59 pm

A container ship loses propulsion and steering while leaving port on a falling tide (current from astern) and allides with a bridge pier causing the bridge to collapse, and it's Biden's fault?

I hope you're voting for RFK.
I'm thinking they are referring to a comment the original design engineer made yesterday saying the pylons were never designed to wear an impact from vessels of today's size and weight. The pylons should have been reinforced!

IMHO and from what I have been reading, much of the 50yo US infrastructure is falling into decay and we are going to see more failures into the future.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 27, 2024, 3:44 pm

"The bill puts about US$240 billion toward building or rebuilding roads, bridges, public transit, airports and railways in 2021.The bill is the largest investment in the nation’s infrastructure in decades "

It certainly looks like the US Government was focused . With over 600,000 bridges in the USA any government certainly has a challenge to maintain them, due to just against wear and tear alone . It was focused on the bridge as maintenance crews were working at the time

Dali is a Neopanamax container ship with an overall length of 299.92 metres (984 ft), beam of 48.2 metres (158 ft 2 in), and moulded depth of 24.8 metres (81 ft 4 in). Its summer draft is 15.03 metres (49 ft 4 in). Its gross and net tonnages are 91,128 and 52,150, respectively, and its deadweight tonnage is 116,851 tonnes.

I dont think ANY bridge would be prepared for a collision, Semper.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 27, 2024, 3:45 pm

"The pylons should have been reinforced!"
Get real

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 27, 2024, 4:27 pm

The safety guidelines when the bridge was built almost 50 years ago probably didn't factor in the quadrupling in the average size of vessels or the expansion of port facilities at Baltimore. Unfortunately, the development of any safety edicts was probably given to the USCG who, in my opinion, is an entity that's long beyond its use-by date. More unfortunately, the USCG, along with FHWA Office of Bridges and Structures, will be deeply involved in the accident investigation.

Some media pictures taken after sunrise show that the port anchor had been dropped. With the vessel without power and propulsion being pushed by following currents into danger to starboard, this 'parking brake' is a standard, permitted emergency procedure.

Right now, there's some speculation on whether problems with the federally mandated low-sulphur fuel management procedures while operating near-shore US or the lack of a stern tug boat aka trailing tractor tug until the vessel had cleared the bridge and was in the Baltimore roads, were contributory factors.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/03/26/us/b ... index.html
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 27, 2024, 4:53 pm

Thanks Tam
BUT for all of us key board jockeys out here, We weren't there prior to the incident, We weren't there at the time of the incident, and we certainly wont be there in probably 2-3 years when the recommendations come out for implementation.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 27, 2024, 4:53 pm

Doodoo wrote:
March 27, 2024, 3:45 pm
"The pylons should have been reinforced!"
Get real
Wake up!
Modern bridge pylons are designed to deflect a wayward vessel not absorb an impact as is in the case where the water way is subject to drifting ice.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 27, 2024, 5:12 pm

~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » March 27, 2024, 5:54 pm

Pilot should have dropped anchors, as soon as lost power , and knew he was drifting toward a bridge, that looked to low for the ship anyways..I dont see if anchors up or down in the photos

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » March 27, 2024, 6:08 pm

maaka wrote:
March 27, 2024, 5:54 pm
Pilot should have dropped anchors, as soon as lost power , and knew he was drifting toward a bridge, that looked to low for the ship anyways..I dont see if anchors up or down in the photos
They did drop their anchor.

And the bridge wasn’t too low.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » March 27, 2024, 6:47 pm

rodger that, must have dragged the anchors then, otherwise she would be arse about face

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 27, 2024, 7:44 pm

"They did drop their anchor.

And the bridge wasn’t too low.

rodger that, must have dragged the anchors then, otherwise she would be arse about face"

That was quick action in getting there to investigate and get information to us

Return to “World News”